Unrequitted Love(MarcoxReader)*

It's fine, he thought. The first division commander was breaking. Not physically but his heart was breaking nonetheless, it not only hurt mentally but somehow it burned within his chest. Watching her with the fourth division commander, his heart ached. She told him last night she was going to confess.

"Marco, can I talk to you?" Her voice was like a sweet melody to his ears. It was perfect that night, the moonlight shining on both of them, the calm sea that kept the ship steady and the one he loved close by. Her lips looked soft and sweet, if only he were brave enough to confess and bring her into his embrace.

"Of course, (Y/N). I always have time for you," he patted the empty space next to him, as the girl followed suit, sitting next to him. She was nervous, he could tell. Maybe something was bothering her, he thought. It would be best for him to spark the conversation up. "The---" he didn't have time to, she already started it.

"I want to confess to Thatch!" His heart sank as these words spilled from her lips. Words can't hurt you? That's shit, because those six words that came from her could hit him harder than any enemy on a battle line. He tried to compose himself but only managed to keep a straight face for her part.

"I see, have you thought this over for a long time?" He clenched his fists tighter wanting to keep that calming state he had been in when she stepped over. He heard her explain to him how her feelings started growing for a while, he wanted to shut her up and explain to her his own feelings but it was useless. "Well, when you do confess tomorrow, take a deep breathe. Let go of those scary thoughts, and close your eyes---sometimes that helps." He gathered the little courage he had left and looked into her (E/C), they shone beautifully in the moonlight. Knowing he would lose her forever, it was now or never. "(Y/N)--"

*Bang!*

As if it were like a bullet shot from an enemy, "You're like a brother to me, Marco."

I see, he must have accepted her feelings. The first division commander knew he would, why wouldn't he? She was wonderful in every department. They hugged each other and then they walked into a private room together, his eyes dimmed as he watched the new couple. Maybe he should've held her tighter or at least kept her closer to him. Suddenly, he felt arms wrapped around him. "Marco!" Her calm stoic voice caused him to freeze.

"What happened?" He asked, not wanting to stop the girl's embrace. She shook her head as he felt water dripping.

"He didn't feel the same way." She was crying. Immediately he turned around and realized they had agreed to only be friends. The nurse uniform she had on seemed more gloomy in his eyes. It was so wrong for him to feel this way, selfish. But deep inside, he felt like he had another chance.

"Well, he's missing out on a lot now, isn't he?"