Chapter 2

"212°!" Lucky practically screamed. "I only go up to 150°!"

I laughed. "That's also after I had cooled down. As long as I don't touch any pots of water, no one should notice."

"Except when you leave scorch marks on their couch!" she said angrily. She then got a surprised look. "Don't ever sit on our couch."

I laughed. I demonstrated by sitting on the nurses office chair. I sat for a minute then got up.

"No burns. Just don't sit on that chair for a while. I can mostly control it. I just can't get over excited, angry, or think a lot about it. Though, when I get sad my body temperature goes down to about 160°." I explained.

She just rolled her eyes and we head back out to the lawn. As we walked across people stared and whispered. Some even pointed. Talk about rude. Can you believe that!?

Suddenly a vine from the ground shot up and tied itself on my wrist. More shot up and tried to restrain me. I simply raised my body temperature and watched the plants singe and back off. I looked up to see who it was.

A boy stepped forward from the crowd.

"Well if it isn't the little prodigy. Trying to out do us again are you?" he sneered.

"I didn't come to show anyone up." I said angrily. "I came to master my element."

"But haven't you already? I mean, everyone saw the fire bird you made. You are obviously trying to out shine us all." he spat back.

Lucky then spoke up. "What's your problem?"

"Oh, Mrs. I-can't-even-make-a-spark thinks she's all that, too." the boy shot back.

"Drew. Knock. It. Off." June said, the wind picking up. 

"This isn't your concern, sis." he said.

"Sister?" I said surprised. Now that I saw them standing next to one another I could see it.

Vines then shot out from the ground they tried wrapping around me only to catch fire.

"How is that possible? You didn't even make a spark!" Drew said surprised.

"My body temperature is much higher than most Heats. That's why June has burn marks." I explained.

"You burned my sister!?" he yelled. He sent more vines to attack me.

I raised my arm to catch them and burned them. "No! She tried to give me a hug! She didn't realize my body temperature was much higher."

He didn't seem to believe me.

"You still hurt my sister. That doesn't go unexcused." he said.

I felt my temper and my body heat flare up. "Just listen!" I yelled subconsciously I sent a fire ball at him.

He stood like a deer in the headlights until a guy in a black leather jacket and jeans stood in front and blocked it.

"Enough!" he yelled.

He then sent a blast of some thing at me. It wrapped around my wrists and neck. It suddenly tightened. I looked at my wrists. There were blocks of ice on my hands. I increased my body heat. I glared daggers at the attacker. He then clenched his fist.

I fell to the ground and felt an icy feeling run through me. I couldn't stand it. I screamed in pain.

You see for most people, cold isn't that bad. For normal Heats it will bring their temps down. It might make them sick. For me, a girl whose body temperature is equivalent to the boiling point of water, it hurts.

My vision went blurry. I could feel my internal body temperature drop below 100° F. I screamed out.

"Stop it, Caleb! Can't you see you're hurting her?!" I heard June yell.

I could feel the icy feeling leaving my body. I let out a breath I didn't know I was keeping. I stood up again.

I looked around. Everyone was whispering again. Suddenly someone important-looking came through the crowd.

"What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

I opened my mouth to speak and then everything went black.