Chapter 21~"I'm waiting, just waiting, Waiting Outside the Lines."

Nico's p.o.v.

Chaos. That's the word, the five letters that described Camp-Half Blood right now.

The scorpions were being fended off by half a dozen campers. I was vaguely aware of Percy calling out my name in frustration. This is it. Chiron will never let me go.

I imagine the scenario in my head. Chiron asks about the scorpions, Annabeth figuring out exactly what happened and why, and then a lecture. I either take the lecture and stay at camp, or sneak out with Aurora as soon as they fix whatever sting that was.

Swing! The scorpion disintegrates into ashes, a little stinger on the ground.

I felt a pang to my chest. What if they couldn't. What if the venom was too strong. I wouldn't be able to get the seeds... Screw it. I worry too much for those around me. It was something Percy taught me.

But not only him. It was what Bianca taught me. Selflessness.

In other terms, how to be brave.

I mindlessly step over the spoil of war.

It probably could be used as a weapon.

I can't handle pain. Every day I die a little inside trying to not care. Caring emits fear. And right now, I'm not exactly fearless.

I'm vaguely aware of the mother Scorpion. A couple Hecate kids surround it and have it stuck in suspended animation. The cage melted as soon as Aurora passed out.

Speaking of her, the daughter of Khione was taken away by Apollos offspring. Again, I realized how ridiculous this situation really was.

All of this was father's fault. If only he'd let me in the underworld, we wouldn't be having much problems. I'd sneak in slowly and get a pomegranate and leave. Well, maybe this time I'd sneak in some other fruits from Persephone's garden... I'd been in there several times, and knew how useful the plants were. Hecate always sent me to fetch her ingredients for some potions.

Only children of the underworld could really consume anything in the underworld without lasting effects. Such as being doomed to marry the least favorite god. The only downside to me picking the fruit is probably getting turned into a flower by Persephone's rage. And it was winter, she's always in the worst of her moods during this period.

The scorpions are smarter than they look. Many realize that they are hopelessly out numbered by now. It's only when the last one visible meets its fate, which involves riptide, do I realize that all eyes are on me.

I give my best glare, but that isn't enough because Annabeth drags me after Chiron. I'm deeply astounded that she thinks she has the authority to touch me.

I shove her off. "Don't like being touched." I mutter angrily. What's a son of Hades got to do to be ignored?

I slump back in Chirons office chair. Percy and Annabeth are behind me bickering.

Chiron peers at me through his interlaced fingers. The scrutinizing gaze makes me feel disappointment. In myself. Not the first time though.

"Mr di Angelo, I think an explanation would be of order." Percy and Annabeth fall silent.

"Chiron... I don't really know what happened. I was just um. In the woods with um..."

"Aurora." He said. "And what exactly were you and Miss Faye doing in the woods?"

My cheeks flushed when I realized what he was implying. We weren't doing anything! But they don't exactly know that. Unfortunately, he took my discomfort as an answer.