Chapter 8~"Stars Are in a Summer Night"

What the heck was he doing here? Then I realized, the position he was in. He had tried to walk through the barrier across a makeshift bridge of... Was that bones and rocks? Never mind because for some reason he couldn't. I leaned closer and noted he was holding a piece of paper in his hand.

I un clenched his pale fist trying to ignore the feeling of our touching hands.

The paper looked fragile with ink that looked awfully close to blood. The note read:

Nico,
For your own safety stay in Camp Half-blood. The barrier won't let you get out unless someone comes with you. I have already warned Chiron not to let anyone take you out unless the camp is under attack. For this reason I have also disabled your shadow travel. For once in your life time listen to me.
Signed, Hades.

It wasn't just Jason trying to protect him. He must be in real danger if a god was forbidding him to leave. Although some caring father he had... Nico shifted in his sleep. He must be having nightmares. Annabeth told me all about demigod nightmares.

Then I noticed this was the first time I was seeing Nicos face. His hair usually covered most of it. I knelt forward and brushed a stray hair away from his face. He had tear streaks down his face, dark circles under his eyes, his skin was as pale as it was cold, and his lips were chapped. Despite this he looked... Cute. Adorable even, he was a little kid who grew up too fast.

Realizing how close I was to his face, I tried backing away then I tripped over a skeleton (what's up with the skeletons anyways?) and landed awkwardly next to him making me feel clumsy for the third time today and for sure I thought he would still be asleep, but unfortunately he woke up. His eyes shot open, boring into mine.

"Percy?" He said gazing into my eyes. I jumped away from him and sat down a couple feet away, I knew my face was probably going red, and it wasn't from the cold... I tried Ignoring the weird feeling in the pit of my stomach. Key word, tried.

"No, I'm not percy..." I said awkwardly.

"Oh." He whispered. Clearly embarrassed. But a little relieved at the same time.

"What are you doing here?" We both asked.

"You first." We said in unison. I laughed. He didn't. Instead he looked surprised.

Frowning I asked him, "Are you okay?"

"Am I ever?" He muttered. Then seeing the note in my hand his eyes widened, he reached forward and grabbed the note out of my hand. "Did you read this?"

At this point I felt truly nosy. All day today I had been like that, maybe the campers were right, I wasn't meant to be trusted.

"Yeah, sorry." I said without explaining.

He looked mad, but then he relaxed and continued in a calm voice.

"What exactly are you doing here? He inquired formally. No friendly intention, just a question.

I realized why I came here in the first place and gestured to my backpack.

"Picnic." I said simply, starting to get my stuff out. I put my sleeping bag away and instead took out my blanket. I was just going to eat then go back to the big house. Nico's skeletons kinda dampened my mood for sleeping out here.

I started to set the food, and Nico looked horrified.

"What are you doing?" He asked quickly. I rolled my eyes.

"I thought we went over this! I'm having a picnic!" I said. Then added "And stop staring at me like that you're making me self conscience."

He had is mouth slightly open so I just put my hand under his chin and closed his mouth shut for him.