Chapter 19-"Running Away Through the Night so Black"

Nico's P.O.V.

I wiped the perspiration off my forehead, almost at the top. In case you're wondering I'm scaling the rock climbing wall, trying not to fall in the sizzling lava bellow. They made a new one for more experienced demigods. It was huge.

I could get to Olympus this way.

My right hand gripped the next rock just as my left foot gave away. Pieces of the rock chipped off and I watched them disintegrate in the red fire. I gulped. It's a long way down...

I found a foot hold and I struggled to pull myself up. I was at the top, finally. I felt sick, this wasn't my fathers domain. The air whipped at me angrily but I kept my hold. I walked up to the mountain like cliff the lava wall was built on. I nodded at Jason and the figure in his grip, the beautiful daughter of Aphrodite known as Piper McLean. They both came back one day ago.

Jason had his hands around Piper who was dozing off safe in his arms, a smile on her face. Of course he'd be here, it was his terrain.

It sucked not having something like that. Nothing to comfort you like so. Percy had his water, which he breathed in like it was energy. Jason had the air to support him, carry him. Me? I had the dead and darkness.

Jason smiled at me, the wind blew through his hair and he looked at peace. I took this as an invitation to sit down.

"Hey."

"Hi." I returned.

"How's it going..." He stretched out the sentence as if to say 'you don't have to answer'.

I shrugged. Jason patted my back in a brotherly fashion. And I closed my eyes at his touch.

He was the only one I'd let touch me. He was the big brother I never had. He comforted me in those moments I broke down. He made me feel accepted. And that's all I needed.

I heard a rock tumble down the side of the mountain. Jason looked worried at the sound, but I didn't fret. Only experienced demigods went on here. But a feminine scream jolted me up. I knew that voice.

Aurora. What schist did she get into now? Jason retracted his arm from a wide-awake Piper. We peeked over the side of the cliff, where a very angry Aurora was glaring at the rocks trying to get a grip.

My stomach did black flips, no not because I saw Aurora. But because of looking down the side. I wasn't afraid of heights, I was afraid of falling.

I digested the butterflies and reached down with my hand. Reminded me of a certain fall. But there was no weeping daughter of Athena in her hands. And I could save her, even if it was just from rock climbing. I had to do this, I couldn't fail like last time.

Jason's hand jolted me back to the present. He was making sure if I got this or not, I could tell that much. I dug my sword into the dirt and swung myself around. We were in Percy and Annabeth style, although I couldn't say I like the comparison much. Now I reached out and grabbed her hand. She held mine right back, and it would be a lie if I said I didn't like the feeling.

I gave Aurora a boost, which was very hard mind you. I pulled her up with her hand until she got a hold of another rock which she gripped as if her life depended on it. Which it did, but you know what I mean. Once she was steady I let her hand go. I put my hand on another rock and pulled myself up, leaving her in my dust.

She was at the top now dusting herself off. She looked fairly annoyed although I couldn't tell at who. Was it me? Or was she disappointed in her self.

I dusted off my sword. It was losing its color, and I had a strange idea of why. Something clicked in my head. "Pomegranate seeds." I muttered.

I turned and looked at Aurora. She noticed my gaze and I saw a blush creep across her face. I turned away the wheels turning in my head. All I had to do was make a trip to the underworld. It would seem simple, but my means of transportation were completely cut off.