35) The One Where There's Heartbreak

Beatrice clutched the picture of Chloe close to her chest. She sobbed violently against the bottom step. Any time Beca or Amy tried to get near her, she began thrashing aggressively at them. Eventually Beca made them back off.

"Come on, Bee, you'll hurt yourself," she begged, still keeping a safe distance.

"NO!" Beatrice screamed back.

"Bea, please!" Beca begged, trying not to cry. "Just talk to me!"

"NO!" Beatrice repeated.

"Why not, honey? What's going on? Talk to your pal, Fat Amy. Okay? Why is this upsetting you so much?" Fat Amy asked gently, edging forwards again.

"Be-because," Beatrice sobbed. "Because, M-Momma t-told me she w-was...dead!"

Fat Amy jolted backwards, gasping. Chloe's hand covered her mouth quickly. She turned away, feeling like she was witnessing some kind of horror movie. Beca stared at Beatrice in shock.

"Oh my god," Chloe groaned. "Oh my god. This is so messed up, Beca! I mean, really, what the hell!?"

"Beatrice, when did I say that? Tell me, okay? This is important," Beca said, trying to remain calm. She didn't look at Chloe, only having eyes for her daughter.

"Wh-when y-you said th-that the la-ady you l-loved w-went to a b-better p-place," Beatrice sobbed.

Beca let out a sigh of relief. She could fix this. It was just a simple misunderstanding. Beatrice had only been little when they'd had that discussion. She was bigger now, she'd understand.

"Kiddo, I just meant that she was somewhere better so that was why she couldn't be with us," she explained quietly. "She's not dead. See? She's right here."

"You're a liar!" Beatrice screamed.

Suddenly she was up and running.

She dived past Beca, ducked under Fat Amy's arm and barged past Chloe. Her little hands grasped the partly open front door. Before Beca could process what was happening, Beatrice was out the house and running down the street.

Beca jumped up, running quickly after Beatrice. She screamed her name at the top of her lungs, over and over. But Beatrice had nipped away out of sight. With big houses framing each side of the road, another busy road at the bottom, with a park surrounded by forest just behind it, Beca couldn't see her daughter anywhere.

"Bea! BEA!" Beca screamed down the road, hands on her knees as she bent over. "BEATRICE!"

Fat Amy had run out after her. She called alongside Beca. Hands cupped around her mouth, using her lungs to their fullest capacity. It was no use. No Beatrice reappeared.

Beca spun around to face her house. Chloe was framing the doorway. Beca was afraid that she was seeing a ghost. She could feel her grip on reality loosening. Was this even real?

"What have you done!?" She screamed at Chloe. "What have you done!?"

"Me!?" Chloe yelled back. "I didn't-"

"How could you leave that door open? HOW COULD YOU!?"

"Beca, calm down," Fat Amy said quickly. "We'll find her."

"Hey, I wasn't the one who told her I was her mother!" Chloe shot back, ignoring Amy.

"It wasn't like that, okay!? She was six! What was I supposed to tell her?" Beca screamed. "It wasn't like I thought it would ever come up again!"

Chloe glared at Beca. But she said nothing. What was there to say? Chloe might have been mad at Beca, furious even, but she wasn't going to punish the woman even more. Beca's daughter was missing after all.