Chapter 22

I heard voices outside my door. I had no idea what the time was, or how long I’d been here for. My mouth felt dry from dehydration, and my stomach was growling ominously. I could do with a giant smoothie right about now.

The door opened, and once again my jaw dropped, “YOU!?” I practically screeched. His hand covered my mouth instantly.

“Shut up!” he hissed, “You don’t want to alert them, do you?”

“What are you doing here?” I hissed. His clear blue eyes softened as he looked straight into mine. My heart did about a million flops.

“I’m rescuing your ass, of course. Now, keep quiet, I’ll explain everything once I get you out of here.” I quietly agreed. I couldn’t believe it. Jason. Jason was here. Out of all the people that I thought possibly could come for me it just had to be Jason- the guy whom I met for about ten minutes.

The ropes were taken off my wrists and ankles. The felt sore and I could see the red marks from where I tried to get free from the restraints. They burnt a little as I moved my wrist around trying to get more feeling into them.

“You’re a werewolf too, aren’t you,” I asked softly, as he pulled me up to my feet.

His blue eyes searched mine, “Yes.” He pulled me out the door then. We had to be dead silent, because it was so quiet I swear that they might’ve even heard the swish of a coat. I was still wearing that mini-dress, and it did not make it any easier trying to make a get away.

We ran up a stairwell, when an alarm sounded. Jason cursed loudly, “I need to shift. Climb onto my back, and hold on for your life,” he instructed seriously. I gulped nodding, and stood back as he shifted on spot, into a beautiful dark grey wolf. The beautiful beast kneeled down just enough for me to easily jump onto his back. I pressed my legs against his sides, and gripped onto his fur. The closeness that seared between us drove me wild, but before I could digest it all, we were off, fast.

I buried my face into the wolf’s fur. I could feel Jason’s muscles moving underneath me. I felt the movements his body was making. I didn’t know why I trusted him – but I just felt like I could. It just felt… right.

I looked up for a second, and saw that we were just about to burst through the doors. And then there was sunlight. I heard a wolf howling in the distance. I could feel Jason itching to go that way. But he headed for the trees in front of us first. Our line of right was clear, and when I looked back there were no wolves following us.

He shifted back into his human state, “Listen to me. Stay here. Stay hidden. Don’t leave the woods. Not for anyone but me.” His ordered, “I’ll be back for you, Cara.” His eyes were the brightest of blue. My face was bright scarlet, as I overcame the urge to look down.

And then… he kissed me. It was beautiful, soft, alluring, and I wanted more, but he broke away looking torn. “I’ll be back.” With that he ran back towards what I now saw was a building. I had about two seconds to look at his backside, before he shifted wolf.

My heart was beating in my throat. What is going on? I sat in the bushes. My whole body was shivering, and I just wanted to cry. But I daren’t make a sound.

I was waiting for what felt like ages. It seemed like hours were passing by the second. The fear which gripped my heart intensified. I heard a rustle in the trees.

‘Come out, come out where ever you are…” The voice was coming from my head! I sharply in took my breath.

‘Your stupid mate ruined everything. And now, I’m going to ruin you, you little bitch,’ it was Reed. I gulped, not saying a word, and trying not to think either – which was proving rather difficult.

‘Shame really, he would have made a good soldier. I could have turned him into something bigger, something better.’ He admitted. I saw a flash of tan. My stomach leapt – not in a good way. Does that mean… Jason. I held back a sob. His menacing laugh cackled in my head, and I just wanted to turn it off.

A snarl sounded behind me, just over my shoulder, ‘found you.’

I screamed loudly, and backed up, stumbling to my feet. I ran, I ran as fast as I could, but I knew it was no use. Blade may have not educated me much, but I did know this – werewolves are fast, very fast. I didn’t have a chance. Not if Jason couldn’t fight them off. I prayed that Blade’s pack had found the building where I was held by now, at least… maybe they could save him, save Jason.

I found myself crying as I ran. I don’t know what he was waiting for. It was as if he was playing a game. A game he knew he was going to win, so he was just dragging it out for his own benefit, for his… fun.

I stumbled, and I was on the ground. My head was spinning as it hit a rock, and as I felt the side of my head I felt it damp – there was no doubt what it was… blood.

The tan wolf – Reed – was now snarling on top of me. He towered over me, but as he bared his teeth, Goosebumps covered my arms and legs.

‘I told you that you were going to die.’

My world was cold.