Chapter 21

His sinister smile made my stomach drop. “Hi Cara,” he mocked. I gulped. This wasn’t the Reed that I had spending hours of time with- no, this was something else. He was something else. He looked different. His hair was sleeked back, he was in what looked like a tailored suit- who was this guy? I looked up into his eyes- were they always that pitch black?

That’s when I realised that my hands and ankles were tied to the chair I was sitting in. No wonder my neck hurt so damn much. I tried to pull my hands free, “What are you doing, Reed?! Let me go!” I cried, struggling against the rope. I was sure my skin would have hell to pay with all the friction I was causing.

“No can do princess,” he replied, flashing me this dangerous smile. It sent shivers down my spine. I thought back to Blade, wondering if he’d have noticed that I’ve gone missing. “Your precious boyfriend won’t be able to find you Cara,” he sneered at me, sitting down on a chair in front of me. Did he just hear what I thought?

His smirk grew, “You should have listened to Delcan and stayed away from me. Well, of course now it’ll do you no good.”

“Damn you! Who are you?!” Seriously, I swear my life is always full of drama.

“I didn’t lie to you about my name. I am, Reed. Everything else though…” He trailed off, “I still don’t understand why Blade took so long to tell you about his… situation.” His eyes reflected that he knew, but I couldn’t take that chance.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I snapped, turning my head away from him.

He clicked his tongue at me, “You’re such a bad liar Cara. It’s still a wonder though, he’s obviously not your mate, and otherwise he would have claimed you by now.”

“He’s not my what?” I made a face.

Reed looked amused, “He didn’t tell you anything about our kind did he?”

My eyes widened, “Your kind- Does that mean… But how could Blade not know?” My heart was now literally pounding against my chest.

“Of course he wouldn’t know,” Reed snorted, “My pack is all next generation werewolves. We- how do I put it. Its like evolution for humans, they are the monkeys, and we are the evolutionary species. We are in the highest peak of the hierarchy.”

Right, that made total sense to me.

“Humans,” he laughed, “You kind are all pathetic.”

“Might be in your eyes,” I replied with dignity, “But looking at things through my eyes, I find you pathetic.” He growled, but I continued on, “Come on, if you’re really the ‘next-gen’ werewolf, or any kind of werewolf at all, why would you need to chain up a puny human like myself?”

Reed’s eyes flashed dangerously, “Precautionary tactic.”

“A likely story,” I mocked. Before I knew it my head snapped to the side.

“Shut up,” he simply smiled, “You’re not getting out of here anytime soon, so I suggest you at least show some respect.”

My lip curled at him, “And if I refuse?”

“I just happen to know where you live,” he menaced. I paled. I’d never put my family anywhere near danger. I spent all these years protecting them, and I’ll never stop doing just that.

That’s when I felt my eyes prickling, “Why?”

He rolled his eyes, “If you’re trying to take the pity train out of here- let me tell you something. It’s not going to work.”

“I’m not,” I snapped, sucking my own feelings up to try to work out my situation and get the hell out of here, “Just at least do me the courtesy of telling my why I was basically drugged, kidnapped, and held captive against my will?”

“You haven’t figured it out?” Reed laughed, “I guess I over-estimated your mental capacity.” He mused, and seemed to ponder for a few minutes. I had half a mind to go and wipe that smirk right off his face, “Alright, why not. You’re going to die anyway.”

My whole body stiffened.

“You know who Blade is. He is the heir to the were-throne. We, my clan and I, want power. We have been suppressed by this world, when we, we are meant to be in charge. We are supposed to push the race forward, turn the humans, and create an empire.” He looked at me almost pityingly, “It’s sad that there will be collateral damage. You’re such a pretty thing.”

I felt the bile rise up my throat, “I’d rather be collateral damage than have anything to do with this,” I seethed. My hands curled into fists, “Haven’t you ever heard that with great power comes great responsibility? You’re going to ruin this world with your greed.”

He bent over, grabbing my face in his hands so that I looked at his endlessly dark eyes, “What did I say about respect.” He squeezed, making my jaw throb against his hold. It was painful, but I didn’t let it show, and I made sure not to think it either- I think. I stared right back into his eyes, until he let go. “Delcan would have noticed your absence soon.”

I willed him not to come for me. I didn’t want Blade to – “He was banished from the throne!” I exclaimed remembering, “He can’t hand over his right if he’s not entitled to it.”

Reed shook his head, “Silly little girl.” We’re the same age bastard! His eyes narrowed, “I’ll just pretend that I didn’t hear that. About the banishment… Who, do you think initiated that butterfly effect?”

I stopped breathing, “You- you killed them?” Oh Blade, I’m so sorry. I felt a tear slip down my face.

“Of course I killed them,” Reed snorted, “I did not tell you there has and will be collateral damage.”

“How could you do that to someone’s family?!” I shouted at him, nearly falling forward on my chair, “How can you just break it apart like they don’t mean anything, like they don’t mean anything, like they were trash that you can throw into a bin?!”

“For the new world,” he replied coldly, “People must die, so that life can prevail.”

“What’s wrong with this world?!” I argued.

“Everything,” he stated, “There is no peace, no harmony. The hierarchy is all wrong, the world is all messed up, and I, my pack, can change that.”

“That’s a little hypocritical isn’t it?” I retorted bitterly.

“Only after the dark we can see the dawn,” he quoted philosophically.

“You’re twisted,” I snapped.

“Most think so,” Reed agreed. He left shortly after that, informing me that there will be someone in shortly check on me, so not to try anything. Not that I could anyway. I was in a windowless, white room, which looked like it should be in an asylum. I was more worried about Blade, would he come for me? And even if he did, would he survive?

I hope he wouldn’t come. It was a far fetched wish, but I was praying for once this one would be granted – that’s all I’m in the position to do, really.

****************************************************************************************

Hey guys, I know I'm uploading really short uploads BUT I'm going to make up for it uploading every one or two days. I hope that's okay :) Ciao :D