Chapter 5

• Dedicated to Ishan Shah

Ishan Shah - One of my wickedest brothers ever. He's so awesome, ie he's always been backing me up on my stories, helping me with some of my story lines. He helped me with this one too, cause I didn't know how to begin this, although I kinda twisted the plot that he advised. But still! This is for him =) 

Chapter 5

I kicked the football towards the goal- the goalkeeper, Jade, made no effort to block it, as my kick landed the ball about a metre to the left of the goal. My coach immediately became critical, “McArthur! Where’s you’re a-game today? We have the regionals coming up in another month, and you show me this crap.  You’re going to keep on doing this until you get it right, I don’t know what’s wrong with you today you’re one of our best strikers!”

I didn’t even bother replying, it was totally useless. Jade threw the ball to me and I went back to the start of the cones to start my drills again.

The fact is I knew exactly what was bothering me, and it was as simple as this- Blade. After Saturday, after he caught me again, for the second time I couldn’t stop thinking about him, how when he pulled me back up I was so close to him, I could smell his cologne, how his dark brown hair was just the right length to rustle with the wind, and how his breath was minty fresh when he asked me if I was okay.

I don’t even know what happened during the movie! It was a total blur for me- completely blank. Blade was all that was running through my mind. Honestly, I tried to concentrate on the movie, I really did. But it was as if something in my mind had locked into this memory, and I couldn’t understand it. It was really a good thing that we were in different movie screens; otherwise I might have stared at him like some gaping buffoon.

Beautiful People ended later than that movie that Blade’s gang ended up going to. You may think that this came to my advantage. But no, because the reason I knew this was when Saph, Jake and I made our way out of the theatre, those two chatting happily about the excellent graphics, and me just staring blankly into space, Blade was there against his Ducati, alone, scrolling through his phone, his earplugs in his ears.

It was like déjà vu, without the phone anyway. But he did look my way, and gave me his usual gentle piercing gaze, and I thought I melted. But before I could open my mouth and Saph caught me to it, “Hey Blade, what happened to your gang?”

I felt a pang of some emotion that I couldn’t place. Blade replied in his smooth sleek voice, while taking off his headphones, and wrapping them around his phone, and pocketing it, “They all went for a round.” Saph looked confused, and before she could ask him what that meant I said it for her.

“For a drive Saph, they went for a drive,” I smiled at her cheekily.

“Well how am I supposed to understand British lingo, eh? I’m pure American darrrrlingg.” She said huffily.

I laughed, “I moved here when I was 4 remember sweetheart; British colloquial language is just common sense.”

She stared at me blankly, “You lost me at the word colloquial.”

I rolled my eyes obviously, and turned to face Romeo, I mean Blade, “So, how come you didn’t go on this drive?” In my head I was thinking, please let it be because of me.

“Actually, I forgot to put gas in my tank today, so they went to get some,” he said smoothly.

“Oh really?” I asked suspiciously, “So they all left you to go to get gas.”

 “Yup,” he said, popping the p, before he continued, “And also because I wanted to ask you why you didn’t return my text.”

Just before the split second that it happened, I predicted it- Saph and Jake scorched the side of my face with their dark gaze. I usually tell them everything, so keeping something like this about Mystery McHottie from them is like pure treason.