Chapter 14- Part 2

“Have I mentioned how slow you are?” Saph said sardonically to me as I climbed down the stairs to receive our guests; Saph was already at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the clock, it was almost quarter past nine- I knew they would be late.

I rolled my eyes darkly, “About twelve times since I got back from the store Saph, I get the point!”

“Obviously not,” she muttered under her breath.

I pursed my lips at her- the purple dress that Saph had put out for me had not made it any easier to walk- it was a high necked 1960s style collar and ended just a few inches about my knee, and it was practically skin tight might I add.

She’s been on about how it took us an hour at the supermarket since the moment me and Blade stepped into the house carrying bags loaded with whatever Saph had ordered us to go get- Blade was carrying most of them, I just had the teeny tiny bag containing you know what in my back pocket. The only thing he let me carry was the bag that was filled with napkins. As amiable as it may seem, I grumbled a lot- all he did was smile genuinely at me, pick up the bags, and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, while slipping the bag into my back pocket before heading back into the house.

I opened the door wide, and Ari practically leaped at me, “CARE BEAR.”

He had me in a tight squeeze, and I patted him daintily on the shoulder, I wheezed, “Ari you might want to let me go.”

“Why?” he said animatedly, crushing me harder.

“She probably can’t breathe you cartoon,” Blade said as he suddenly appeared, pulling Ari off of me.

 “I was just showing the love,” Ari pouted.

Layla came and wrapped an arm around his waist, “Don’t worry chere, you can’t show me the love anytime you like.”

Shaun coughed loudly, putting his hands tight to his ears, “Layla, not in front of me for God’s sake!”

 “You think he would have gotten used to this after four years,” she exclaimed scowling, before turning to me and greeting me with her usual charming smile.

But she complied, and stepped slightly away from Ari, reaching down to grab his hand instead. He smiled down at her tenderly, and she seemed to return the gaze.

I sighed. They look perfect together.

Jayden just then came around and thumped me on my head; I rubbed my head, “Ow! What was that for?!”

“It’s New Year’s Eve!” he exclaimed merrily.

I looked at him pursing my lips, “And that causes you to hit me on the head because…?”

“He’s a freaking lunatic of course,” Damien said, Valerie clutching his arm lightly, looking around timidly.

“Hey Damien!” I said jovially.

“Quick noticing I’m here Cara,” he chuckled.

“Well, I was too busy being attacked and thumped on thank you very-”

I didn’t get to finish my sentence.

“Am I the only one waiting upstairs for all of you?” Jake hollered from the top of the stairs, an irritated look on his face.

Oh crap.

“Sorry Jake! We’re coming up now,” I bellowed back.

I ushered everyone up the stairs, and closed the door clicking the lock shut. I felt a hand lace into mine and I whipped my head around quick- Blade.