Response letter to This & that: Planning.

Katie cruz has started a writing blog called This & That.  The blog is different than the typical 'What is wrong with Watt pad guide'.    It will either help you improve your writing or give you a good laugh!  In fact, I just saw one of those What is wrong with watt pad or what annoys me about watt pad guides the other day.  They've just become too repetitive! 

Yes, I know I'm totally uniorginal for creating this novel. But this is like my personal writing journal that is published online and I get to share it with some of my favorite friends on this site!  

She has already offered several tips for beginning and professional writers a like!  One of the most valuable things she said was to plan out the story. 

Katie, Katie, Katie, why didn't you tell me this like four months?   If someone would have told me to plan out my story, it would have saved me so much trouble. It would have also made the story so much better. 

And then she said [non-quote], you don't want  to change the character's eyes later on in the novel.

When I read that line, I had to laugh and look away from the computer screen.  I am so guilty of that! 

I'm a very free spirted writer.   When I come up with a idea, I always picture the most climatic chapter first.  And I have a general idea of where I want the story to go, but I'm not sure what I want or don't want to happen in the beginning or the end. 

   in fact, I don't know what I'm going to write for the next chapter until I sit down and just write. Now, the advantage of this technique is that I come up with different ideas.  But, I have a hard time thinking about a story as a whole. When I write  a chapter, I don't think how that chapter will effect the next chapter or the ending of the book.

And those are all questions that I should ask myself every time I sit down to write. 

But, I don't.

And now, I'm having a problem connecting all of the missing pieces because I didn't plan anything.  I started writing chapter outlines. My solution was to name all of the major events in each chapter, so I could figure out my next move. I have a paragraph of description for each chapter. 

Now if you are beginning a story, outline each chapter because outlining the entire book when it's already fifty pages in,   is a pain in the ass!

 You should all check out Katie Cruz's wonderful writing journal!