Chapter 58

"Master Yoda" Ezra said.

"You're powerful. You must know how to defeat Vader and his Inquisitors."

"Hm. Padawan, thousands of Jedi once there were, then came war. In our arrogance, join the conflict swiftly we did. Fear, anger, hate. Consumed by the Dark Side, the Jedi were."

"Was it wrong for the Jedi to fight? Is it wrong for me to protect my friends?" Ezra asked.

"Wrong? Hm. Wrong time fought I did, consumed by fear I was. Fore see it, I did not."

"You were afraid?" Ezra asked.

"Yes, afraid. Surprised are you? The challenge, lifelong it is, not to fear into anger."

The ground suddenly began to shake and dust fell from the ceiling.

"What's happening?" Ezra asked.

"Found you, the enemy has" Yoda said. 

The Seventh Sister and Fifth Brother grunted as they struggled to open the Jedi Temple. The markings engraved in the ground had turned crimson as they two Sith worked together. Finally the door reached the surface and the two Inquisitors relaxed. Smiling victoriously at their work.

The Temple Guards and Kanan fought viciously as they tried to get the leading position. One kicked Kanan in the chest and he stumbled backwards into the wall. His blue saber deactivated but he pointed the red one at the Temple Guards as dust fell from the ceiling.    

"Even now the servants of darkness come for your apprentice" the Temple Guard said.

"You cannot fight forever."

Kanan thought about this and sighed.

"You're right, I can't protect Ezra forever, not even from himself. All I can do is what I've done, train him the best I could" he said, deactivating the crimson lightsaber. 

The Temple Guard raised their yellow lightsaber and Kanan bowed his head submissively. Ready to die. The lightsaber wielder brought it down but instead of killing the Jedi, he pointed his lightsaber on either side of Kanan's shoulders. 

"By the right of the council, by the will of the Force, Kanan Jarrus" the Temple Guard said.

"You may rise."   

Kanan stared as the other Temple Guards deactivated their lightsabers and the middle one made a motion for him to stand before turning away.

"Wait" Kanan said as he got to his feet.

"What does this mean?"

The Temple Guard took off his helmet and faced Kanan. The Grand Inquisitor with white markings instead of red met Kanan's gaze. 

"It means you are now what I once was" the Inquisitor said.

"A knight of the Jedi Order."

Kanan found himself speechless. He didn't know what to think.

"The Temple is falling go" the Grand Inquisitor pointed to the entrance.

"I will delay the enemy." 

Kanan became tight lipped as he nodded and he ran through the double doors. 

Ahsoka kneeled in her place in the Temple, her thoughts wild. She suddenly noticed the dust and rocks falling from the Temple and stood up. She saw a passage had opened up and nodded to herself.