Chapter 23

**Fred's POV**

I wake up and rub my eyes, still feeling sleepy. I roll over and reach out to Annalise, wanting to cuddle up to her and fall back to sleep. My arms, however, find empty space.

"Anna?" I sit up, looking around the room. There's a note on the bedside table. I wriggle over and pick it up.

Fred,

I need to go back to Mungo's for a while. I'll be okay, I just need a bit of help getting back on track. I love you more than anything and I want to be me for you. I'll see you soon.

Anna xx

I flop onto my back and scrub my hand across my face. I wish she'd open up to me more when she's struggling, but I'm glad she's reaching out for help.

It'll be Saturday in a couple of days, so I can go and visit her then. Hopefully it won't be as long as last time. I drag myself out of bed and get dressed. I'm due to be meeting George and Lee for a radio broadcast soon. I grab a piece of bread and toast it, sticking it in my mouth as I disapparate.

"Hey," George greets me as I walk into the shed, "where's Anna?"

"She's had to go away for a bit," I say, glancing at Lee. George frowns, but doesn't press further. We do the broadcast and Lee leaves, promising to drop by in a day or two.

"Is she okay?" George asks immediately after Lee disapparates.

"She's gone back to Mungo's," I sigh, "I didn't know she was struggling..."

"Hey, at least she's getting help," George says. I nod and run my fingers through my hair.

"Let's go in, Mum wants to see you," he says, "I swear she thinks we cease existing if we're not in the same room as her."

"Don't tell her about Anna," I say as we approach the house. George frowns.

"Why not?"

"I don't know, I don't think Anna would like it," I say, "just... Keep it quiet until I can talk to her."

"Sure."

The days leading up to Saturday seem to take months. I arrive there far too early, and have to sit in the waiting room. My stomach is full of knots. I remember the first time I visited her here. The look on her face of pure terror. She was so skinny and seemed so lost. I clench my teeth, feeling my heart beating harder in my chest. Lucas appears, cheerful and optimistic as always, and ushers the guests in. I steel myself up before walking into the common room. I scan the room, looking for Anna. She sees me and waves me over. I feel a flood of relief as I cross the room. She doesn't look any different from the last time I saw her. She pulls me into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry I left so suddenly," she says, her breath warm on my ear, "I didn't want to risk slipping any more."

"I'm just glad you're okay."

She pulls back and smiles at me.

"Lucas thinks I'll be fine to go home pretty soon," she says, sitting down and patting the spot next to her, "we changed up the potions and they're working so much better."

"How long?"

"Mm, maybe next week?"

I take her hand and press it to my lips.

"Are you okay?" she asks, touching my face.

"You scared me," I admit, "I wish you'd tell me how you're feeling."

She looks away, looking upset and I wish I hadn't said anything.

"I know," she sighs, "it's just hard. But... I'll try."