Chapter 2

**Harry's POV**

Despite my efforts, I barely see Annalise around the castle. I haven't been able to run into her accidentally-on-purpose even once. The only times I see her is during meals and once when she, Fred and George were talking in the Gryffindor common room. I had hope she would sit with the twins at meals, but I over estimated their closeness.

"Annalise!" Fred stands up and waves her over, "I heard you put your name in the Goblet."

"Don't be silly, I turn seventeen a month after you do," she says, "and I don't want a beard, so I'm not risking trying to put it anyway."

"Ah, I thought maybe you'd found a way around it," George sighs.

"Nope," she shakes her head, "the beards suited you, though."

She winks and stalks off to the Slytherin table.

"See something you like, Harry?" George asks, smirking. I feel my cheeks grow hot and shake my head.

"Just thinking about the Tournament," I lie, "who do you think will get it?"

"I hope Angelina does," Fred says.

"Thanks," Angelina says, appearing behind him, "we'll know soon enough."

The Hall fills up quickly, the air filled with excitement and tension. I keep looking over at the Slytherin table. Annalise is talking to a girl next to her, her eyes almost glowing with excitement. My attention stays mostly on her until the feast ends, but then it's drawn away by Dumbledore rising to his feet and announcing that we're about to find out who the champions are.

"Good luck, Angelina!" Hermione calls down the table. Angelina shoots her a smile, then turns to face Dumbledore.

"The Durmstrang champion is... VIKTOR KRUM!"

"No surprise there!" Ron yells in my ear.

"The Beauxbatons champion is... FLEUR DELACOUR!"

The Hall goes deathly silent as the Cup flicks out the champion of Hogwarts. Dumbledore reads it, then turns to us.

"The Hogwarts champion is... CEDRIC DIGGORY!"

I see Angelina slump, disappointed, but the Hufflepuff table goes absolutely crazy. It takes a while for the noise to die down, but them Dumbledore steps forward to speak again.

"Well, there we have it," he begins, "our champions-"

He's cut off by the cup, flicking out another name. I glance at Ron and Hermione. A fourth champion?

"Harry Potter."

I feel my insides turn to ice and sink down in my seat.

"HARRY POTTER!"

Hermione is shoving at my back. I stumble to my feet and walk the length of the Hall, feeling deeply shocked. A numbness spreads through me as the Heads of the schools come in and argue about the fairness of this. When Dumbledore dismisses us I walk out with Cedric. We speak, but I can barely answer. It's not until much later, much, much later, that I begin to feel anything at all.

***

"Ignore them," Hermione mutters as another group of Slytherins walk passed, wearing 'Potter Stinks' badges, "you need to focus. The task is tomorrow!"

"I know," I hiss angrily, "I know."

We round a corner and walk into yet another group of Slytherins. I don't know how the castle holds them all.

"Hey Potter," one of the girls says in a taunting voice, "ready for tomorrow?"

I try to move passed her, but she blocks my path, flashing her badge at me.