Chapter 20

**Annalise's POV**

"It's nearly time," Fred says, checking his watch. I feel my stomach clench with fear. The Order has come up with a plan to get Harry from his aunt and uncle's house. They are going to have seven decoy Harrys ride with seven Order members to seven safe houses, then take portkeys to the Burrow. I volunteered mine and Fred's place as a safe house, then Fred volunteered to be a decoy. Because someone needs to be here it means I can't go out with them, so I'll have to sit here and wait, hoping that they all get to the Burrow alive. The thought makes me want to be sick.

"Hey," Fred tilts my chin up, "we're going to be fine."

"You'd better be," I huff, hugging him tightly, "I'll come to the Burrow as soon as Fleur and Bill get here."

"Okay," he kisses me on the cheek, "I love you."

I grab him and kiss him.

"Don't you let them hurt you," I tell him fiercely.

"I won't."

He kisses me again and heads out. I try to keep myself busy, but I just end up pacing and watching the clock. The hands seem to be ticking agonisingly slowly. In my head I follow the plan. They'll be arriving now. Taking the polyjuice potion. Pairing off. Getting ready to leave.

I start pacing faster. They'll be in the air now. This is when they're most vulnerable. Fleur and Bill shouldn't be too far away, I'm one of the closest safe houses. Every second feels like days. Should they be here? Has something happened? With no way of knowing, my head is full of worst case scenarios. What if they got trapped at Harry's house? What if they were ambushed? What if none of them-

There's a crash outside and my wand is in my hand. I rush to the door and fling it open. Bill and Fleur/Harry are hurrying across the lawn. I feel a rush of relief, then see a gash across Fleur/Harry's face.

"What happened?" I demand.

"When your father died" Bill gasps, his wand pointed at my chest, "where did you leave flowers?"

"What?!"

"Answer!"

"Under an apple tree," I say, "Bill, what's going on?"

"We were ambushed," he says, ushering Fleur inside, "had to check it was really you."

He bends over Fleur, tending to the cut. I follow them, terror gripping me.

"Ambushed?" I echo, "what-"

"There were death eaters waiting for us," he says, straightening up, "they killed Mad-Eye. The others... I don't know."

I look around at the clock. We have ten minutes before our portkey is due to go. I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths. I'm never sitting around and waiting again. Bill goes into the kitchen and returns a few minutes later with three strong cups of tea.

"Where's the portkey?" he asks. I point to the old hat on the coffee table and sink into an arm chair. If Fred is hurt...

"Let's get ready."

We stand around the hat and I grip the rim. I close my eyes and feel the jerk as we're lifted into the air. We land outside the Burrow. Mr and Mrs Weasley, Harry, Ron, Hermione and Lupin are all there. Mrs Weasley pulls Bill into a hug, but he pulls away, looking to his father.

"Mad-Eye is dead," he says, "Mundungus disapparated. Did everyone else make it back?"

"Inside," Mr Weasley nods. I break away from them, running for the house. I knock into Tonks, but don't pause to apologise.