Chapter 1

**TRIGGER WARNING - PLEASE READ**

Hey guys. In this story I will be talking a lot about mental health, self harm and suicide, so please be aware that those themes will be a key part of the story. If there is a chance that this will effect you, please don't read. 

**Harry's POV**

I walk downstairs from Ron's room to get a glass of water. As I pass different rooms, I listen briefly. Percy is muttering about cauldrons, small explosions are echoing in Fred and George's room and Ginny is singing quietly in her bedroom. The kitchen is empty when I walk in. I get a glass from the cupboard and fill it at the sink. There's a soft knock on the door and I hesitate, wondering if I should answer. I'm not sure where Mrs Weasley is and I don't want to bother any of the others, so I cross to the door and open it. A girl is standing there, her bright green eyes huge in her pale face. With her red hair, I immediately think she must be another Weasley, maybe a cousin.

"Hi," she says, her face breaking into a ready smile, "is Mrs Weasley home?"

"Uh, I think so," I frown slightly, "um-"

"Annalise!"

Mrs Weasley comes into the kitchen behind me and I step back so that Annalise can walk into the room.

"Hello, Mrs Weasley," Annalise says, stepping inside. Out of the sun, her hair looks darker, a deep cherry red. She runs her fingers through it, sending the curls crazy.

"My mum is having one of her spells," Annalise says, "I was wondering if maybe I could go to Hogwarts with you, next week?"

"Of course!" Mrs Weasley agrees readily, "of course. Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Thanks, but no," she says, "I'd better get back to mum. You know what she's like."

"Right," Mrs Weasley says sympathetically, "well, run up and say hello to Fred and George before you go, they wouldn't forgive me if you were here and I didn't let them know."

"Will do," Annalise grins, heading for the stairs. Mrs Weasley looks after her fondly, then glances at me.

"She lives nearby," Mrs Weasley explains, "bless her."

She disappears out into the garden and shortly after one of the twins comes down stairs.

"Hey, Harry," he greets me, reaching for a glass, "what are you up to?"

"Nothing," I say, "uh, I think a friend of yours is here? Annalise?"

It wouldn't surprise me if she'd somehow gotten lost in this house, sometimes I think it changes during the night.

"Yeah," he takes a long drink of water, "she and Fred are talking about something, probably classes."

"Fred? Classes?" I raise my eyebrows and George nods, rolling his eyes.

"Fred is surprisingly studious, when he wants to be," he says, putting his glass in the sink, "I got the looks, he got the brains. Well, I got the brains too, he just... Spent too much time with Percy as a kid."

I ponder this for a moment, I don't know much about the twins, other than they're pranksters and beaters in Quidditch. I always assumed neither one cared much about classes. We hear feet on the stairs and Annalise appears. She smiles over at George.

"I hope you're not corrupting my brother," he teases her lightly. She rolls her eyes at him.

"I couldn't corrupt him if I tried," she says, opening the door, "see you next week!"

I follow George upstairs, continuing passed his and Fred's room, up to Ron's.

"There was a girl here," I begin with, making him look around in interest.

"Who?" he demands.

"Annalise," I say, her name rolling off my tongue. Ron sits back, his interest dulling.

"Oh," he says, "her."

"Who is she?" I ask, sitting down on my bed.

"She and her mother live a couple of miles away," Ron says, "don't know much about her mum, but when her father was alive she'd spend a week or two here every summer."

"Is she close to Fred and George?"

"Not that I know of," Ron shrugs.

I lie back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Above us I can hear the ghoul moaning. I think of Annalise and my heart thumps funnily.

"She seems nice," I say vaguely.

"Well, she's pretty," Ron says, "apparently she's into girls, though."

"Huh?"

"I dunno, just what George says."

I spend the rest of the holidays thinking about Annalise. For the first time in years returning to Hogwarts isn't the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

The first of September arrives in a whirl of activity. Mrs Weasley is trying to pile us all into the muggle taxis and nobody seems to have noticed that Annalise isn't here yet.

"Is that everyone?" Charlie asks, looking in at us.

"No-"

"Yes!" Annalise slides into the seat next to me, "sorry I'm late!"

I shoot her a smile and discreetly try to press a bit closer to her. The trip is mad and when we finally reach Kings Cross we're all grateful to leave the taxis behind us. As the train leaves the station, I look around for Annalise, planning on asking her to sit with us, but she's already gone. I sigh inwardly and follow Hermione down the train in search of a compartment.

About halfway down the train I see Annalise sitting with a few girls that I don't know.

"Do you think she's in Gryffindor?" I ask Hermione.

"Who? Oh, Annalise," Hermione frowns, "I don't think so, no."

At the feast I scan the other tables, trying to spot her,

"Harry?"

I look around at Hermione.

"Cho is right at the end," she says, nodding at the Ravenclaw table.

"Uh, thanks," I say. I force myself not to scan the tables as obviously, but as Dumbledore speaks, telling us about the Triwizard Cup, I glance over the Hall, searching for the flame of red that I'm sure will give her away.

As the feast ends, I try to linger behind so I can see her as she leaves, but Ron is eager to talk about the Cup, so I get dragged along with him.

***

As soon as we walk into breakfast the next morning I scan the Hall. For some reason I expected her to be sitting with Fred and George, but they're sitting with Lee, talking intensely.

"Morning," I greet the twins as we sit down. They greet us quickly, then turn back to Lee. I want to ask them about Annalise, find out as much as I can, but I also don't want to be obvious. I take a breath and open my mouth to speak when she's there, dressed in Slytherin robes. I never thought to look for her at the Slytherin table. She puts her hand gently on Fred's arm and he looks up at her.

"Are we still on for lunch?" she asks, "I can tell Charms this year is going to be beyond me."

"Sure," Fred nods, "see you then."

She smiles at him and leaves. My gaze follows her until she's out of sight. Slytherin. Slytherin. She seems so nice. So decent. I look over at Fred. He's still talking with George and Lee. He doesn't seem to have been affected by her at all.

"Harry? Did you hear what I said?" Hermione asks.

"Sorry," I say, shaking my head, "didn't sleep well."

"Was it your scar?" Hermione demands.

"No, no, nothing like that," I say, for once not lying.

Hermione shakes her head at me and gets up to leave. I trail after her, still thinking about Annalise.