Chapter 9

**Annalise's POV**

Fred and George leave school the first Monday after Easter. Although there's only a couple of months left until I leave too, all of a sudden it feels like I'll never see them again. Laura tells me not to worry, it'll pass in a flash, focus on study... It doesn't help, but she's not wrong. Before I know what's happening the NEWTs are over and done with. The whole of seventh grade takes a few days to recover but then the papers confirming You-Know-Who is back come out.

"Well, shit," Laura says, looking at the front page, "I hoped it wasn't true."

"Yeah, this puts a dampener on things," I say quietly. Laura folds the newspaper up and puts it on the floor.

"In other news," she says, looking over at me, "you'll have to face Mrs Weasley with her knowing about you and Fred for the first time tomorrow."

"Don't remind me," I groan, "I'm really scared."

Laura gives my hand a squeeze.

"You'll be fine," she says.

Despite Laura's constant reassurances, the closer we get to London, the more tempted I am just to vomit and disapparate. I know, however, that eventually I'll have to face Mrs Weasley, and if we're in public there's less of a chance she'll kill me on sight. This thought does not make it any easier, though. Laura practically has to shove me through the barrier. The platform is so crowded that I can't see any of the Weasleys and for a moment I feel relieved, thinking maybe I can sneak away-

"Anna."

Fred's arms snake around my waist and he pulls me close to him. I turn in his arms, hugging him tightly, then pull back and look at him.

"What are you wearing?" I ask, running my fingers over his jacket.

"Dragon," he says, "do you like it?"

"I-"

My voice disappears as I see Mrs Weasley. A shiver of pure terror runs through me and I instinctively pull away from Fred, putting some distance between us. Fred, however, doesn't seem to be about to let me go and steps close to me, putting his arm firmly around my waist.

"She'll adjust," he says, "especially as you're going to be living with George and I."

"I'm what?"

"Yeah," Fred says, "I mean, you said you don't want to go home, right? So, come and live with us! We have room and we're getting better at cleaning spells. You can even work in the shop, if you like."

Ignoring Mrs Weasley, I pull Fred close and kiss him, tears sliding down my cheeks. He holds me tightly until I have to pull away as I start to sob. He rests his chin on the top of my head and waits until I gain control again.

"Thank you," I say, wiping my eyes, "that's- that's really thoughtful."

"I just want you to be happy," he says quietly. I tear up again and nod, unable to speak.

"Fred, come on!" George calls, waving to us. I glance at Fred, unsure. He picks up my bag in one hand and takes my hand in his other, leading me over to his family.

"Mad-Eye, Tonks, this is Annalise," he says, "Anna, this is Tonks and the real Mad-Eye Moody."

"Nice to meet you," I say, feeling shy and taking comfort in the steady warmth of Fred's hand. Mrs Weasley is over saying goodbye to Harry, but now comes over. I can't look her in the eye and instead determinedly study Fred's left shoe. I'm surprised to feel her pull me into a tight hug.

"If it had to be anyone, I'm glad it's you," she says softly. I burst into choking sobs, clutching her tightly. After a few minutes I regain control again and begin feeling rather embarrassed.