Chapter 11

**Harry's POV**

The last night before we return to school I sit in the living room with Ron, playing chess. Mrs Weasley is sitting nearby, knitting, and Mr Weasley is reading by the fire. Lupin has dropped in and is talking with Bill and Fleur. The front door bangs closed and everyone jumps, but George waltzes in, followed by Fred.

"Knight to E3," I say, turning my attention back to the board.

"Annalise, dear!"

My head whips around as Annalise follows Fred into the living room. She's smiling, but her face is pale and there are dark smudges under her eyes. She sinks down onto the sofa next to Fred, looking exhausted. As she takes off her coat and scarf I can see that she's lost weight.

"How are you?" Mrs Weasley asks anxiously, "we missed you at Christmas!"

"I'm alright," she says, her voice soft, like a feather, sounding like it could disappear at any moment, "I've just been a little under the weather."

Fred gives her a worried look, but Annalise seems determined to smile through it. Mrs Weasley starts talking about Christmas and Annalise seems engaged, but her eyes go glassy and it seems to be taking a huge effort for her not to fall asleep.

"Check mate."

My neck nearly snaps as I turn my attention back to the board. I swear under my breath, but I'm not surprised.

"How are you doing, Harry?"

I jump and look around to see that Annalise has moved to kneel in front of the fire. I sit down on the carpet beside her as Ron joins Fred and George.

"I'm fine," I tell her, "are you-"

"Fine," she smiles, "I'm fine."

"Annalise," Lupin and Bill join us on the mat, "how are you?"

"Very well, professor, thank you," she says politely, "yourself?"

"I'm fine," Lupin nods, "what have you been up to? Since finishing school, I mean?"

"I've just been helping in the shop," Annalise says, motioning towards the twins, "although, from what I hear, that won't be an option for much longer."

"Yes, the way the Alley is going, the boys will have to be careful," Bill says, frowning at his brothers.

"You try convincing them of that," Annalise says, laughing softly, "I sure haven't been able to."

She leans back against the wall, looking worn out.

"Does anyone want some tea?" I ask, standing up. I hurry into the kitchen, my stomach turning over. There is definitely something wrong with Annalise, but I don't know what. I fill the kettle and put it on to boil, then stare out the window, running my fingers through my hair. I thought I had moved on from her, I thought that I'd accepted that she is Fred's girlfriend, but I haven't. She still makes my heart flutter and thinking that she's sick makes me feel sick.

"Harry?"

She makes me jump for the second time as she steps into the dim kitchen, her skin almost luminescent, lit by the moon rays filtering through the kitchen window. She leans against the door frame, her hair inky in the darkness.

"Don't worry about the tea for me," she says, "the twins and I are going to head home."

"Oh," I say, surprised, "I thought-"

"We need to be up early tomorrow," she says, "so we can't stay late."

"Right," I try not to frown. She straightens up and smiles at me.

"Take care of yourself, Harry," she says, "we'd hate to lose the Chosen One now."

She winks and disappears from the kitchen, just as the kettle whistles. By the time I return to the living room, it's as if she was never here, except for a curious emptiness in the pit of my stomach.

The next day on the Hogwarts express, I try to tell Hermione about Snape, but my mind is on Annalise. Hermione, perceptive as she is, tries to change the topic.

"So, what's got you all distracted?" she asks.

"Nothing," I lie. Hermione's eyebrow rises and I can feel my cheeks getting hot.

"We saw Annalise last night," I confess, "and... I think she's sick."

"So? Everyone is probably stressed and tired," Hermione says, "unless she's dying-"

"You didn't see her," I argue, "she looked like... Like a dementor had been feeding off her for weeks."

"Maybe she'd been doing something for the Order."

"Like what?" I ask. Hermione shrugs again.

"Harry, I don't mean to sound harsh, but she's Fred's girlfriend, you need to move on," she says. I try not to roll my eyes at the irony and drop the subject.

**Annalise's POV**

Sunday the shop is closed and Fred and George have gone to meet up with Lee. I sit on the bed, my knees tucked up under my chin, feeling miserable and tired. I close my eyes, taking deep, slow breaths. I've made a decision, but now I have to work up the energy to actually go through with it.

I get up and drag my trunk out from under the bed, opening it and flicking my wand. My belongings start flying from all over the room, folding themselves neatly into the trunk. It doesn't take long, I haven't accumulated very much. Once that's done I get dressed and walk down to Gringotts. I withdraw a good chunk of money, then head home, feeling exhausted. The boys must have arrived just before I did; they're standing in the entryway, stomping snow off their boots and unwinding their scarves, laughing and looking full of life, the opposite of how I feel.

"Hey," Fred greets me, "where've you been?"

"Out," I say, glancing down at the floor, "can I talk to you for a minute?"

George politely takes his leave and I lead Fred into the kitchen. I knot my hands together, my stomach churning.

"What's going on?" Fred asks, brushing my hair away from my face, his fingers leaving a searing kiss on my skin. I pull back and take a deep breath.

"I'm leaving," I tell him, "I don't- I don't think we should be together."

"What?" Fred sounds shocked, "why?"

"I-I just..." I trail off, looking away, "I'm sorry."

I hurry into the bedroom and grab my trunk.

"Anna-"

I blink up at Fred, pausing for a moment before I disapparate. The small bedroom disappears, replaced by a cold, grey kitchen.