Part 9

Rajveer was pacing in the infirmary waiting for Dr Shalini. He had to go to Naina's house tomorrow, and Dr Shalini hasn't given him a clean bill of health yet. She kept insisiting he blood pressure was still high. How could he explain why it was so. The truth was that he was nervous. Nervous to go to Naina's house and face her parents. What do they think about him ? He killed their son and fell in love with their daughter, who was his student. When Capt Salve had exclaimed  in open court that she was the one he loves, it was only normal for people to think they were in some kind of illegitimate relationship. 

How could he explain , the the love was only in their hearts, their eyes. They still din't have the guts to put it into words and confess to each other what they really felt. They could talk about a hundred different topics but not this. 

"Ok Calm down Rajveer, before all this thinking affects your BP and Dr Shalini doesn't let you go."

Dr Shalini : Hey Captain, sorry, Major Rajveer. Your Reports are here and you blood work looks good. That means the drugs have completely been removed from your system. But I would like you to get regular checkups in Delhi and take very good care of yourself.

Rajveer: Thank You Dr Shalini. So I can leave now. 

Dr Shalini: Not yet. You are not leaving until I approve of what you are wearing tomorrow. Afterall, you should make a good impression.

Rajveer: Dr Shalini...How on earth do you know where I am going ?

Dr Shalini: I know everthing Major. So, What are you wearing. And what are you taking with you ? fruits ? Champagne bottle ? 

Rajveer : Dr Shalini...Please. Let me do this on my own.  And I have met them before, twice actually, so this isn't a first impression scenario.And I thought of taking sweets.

Dr Shalini: Not bad Major. Not Bad.

At Naina's house, her parents watched on as their daughter ran from one corner to the other, making sure the house was in perfect condition. Even at Diwali time, their house wasn't cleaned to this extent. 

Mom: Naina, stop yelling at the maid and go get ready. Captain Rajveer is not going to care if there is some dust in storage room, under the cupboard.

Naina: Major Rajveer Ma, don't call him Captain when he is here. 

Mom ( smiling slightly at the pride in Naina's voice ): Fine. By the way, Major saab ko veg pasand hai ya non-veg ?

Naina looked up drawing a blank. She had no idea. 

Mom : Aur, meine gulab jamun banaye hai. I hope unko meetha pasand hai ?

Naina felt really guilty. This was the man who had done so much for her, knew her inside out, but she din't know anything about him. All their talks in KMA was just about her, her brother, her mission. She felt really selfish. How was it that she din't know anything about him while he could  tell when she was lying, when she was sad and what would make her happy. He even knew what colour and kind of saree  she would like. In the one year, they had spent together, she never tried to know him, his likes, his dislikes.

Mom: Naina.....

Naina: Mein tayyar hoke aati hu ma...

Naina went upstairs and started getting ready. She wore a blue jeans and a short dark blue kurti, tied her hair into a ponytail. She was not going to over dress, she thought, but still put on some lipstick and kajal. She was about to go down, when she heard the door bell.

Her heart was beating rapidly. She took a deep breath, and went downstairs. She could hear Rajveer exchanging pleasantries with her parents.

Naina came and looked at him. He was looking gorgeous in a blue jeans and a black shirt.  Rajveer's eyes met hers, and a smile immediately came to his lips. Both her parents could sense the change in the air.

Mom : Ahem...andar ayiye Major.

Rajveer (quickly breaking eye contact ): Please aunty, just call me Rajveer. Aur ye aapke liye. He handed out the sweetbox.  

Mom: Oh...iski kya zarurat thi Rajveer...Thank You. Come in. Have a seat.

Rajveer and his parents spoke for sometime.

Dad: Major, We are really glad you could come. We really wanted to thank you for all that you have done for our son and for Naina. She would have really not survived in KMA without you.

Rajveer: Nahi Sir, please. Meine aisa kuch nahi kiya. After what I did to Naveen...

Dad: You din't do anything wrong beta...I knew my son. He would have never preferred to die at the arms of his enemy. I am sure that because you pulled the trigger, he is now resting in peace. varna uski aatma ko kabhi shanti nahi milti.

Rajveer could feel the weight of a thousand tons being lifted from his heart. They talked about Naveen, his old positions, had their lunch and everything was going well.

Mom: Yeh lo beta. Gulab jamun.

Rajveer struggled with his least favorite sweet. 

Mom: Beta, you liked  it din't you. I can get you something else if not..

Rajveer: No aunty. It is fine.

Mom: Arre..it's ok if you don't like it....

Rajveer put down the bowl guiltily. 

Naina: Aapko gulab jamun nahi pasand ?

Rajveer: Not that much Naina.....I don't have much of a sweet tooth...

Naina: I m sorry, mujhe nahi pata tha...I would have made something else....Do you want Coffee ? Mein coffee bana ke laati hu.

Rajveer: Naina...please mere liye koi taklif mat karo....

But she had already bolted.

Mom: Acha Rajveer , ek aur baat tha jo hum tumse baat karna chahte hai...tumhare aur Naina ke baare mein...

Rajveer looked up in shock and in the kitchen..tang..tang..tang..

Naina...owww

Everybody leapt up and ran towards the kitchen. The milk was all spilled down and naina was clutching her hand. She must have burnt her hand with hot milk. Rajveer immediately moved forward and clutched her hand. He opened the tap and put her hand under cold water. Naina yelled out in pain. 

Rajveer: Hogaya Naina...hogaya...bas 2 sec. 

Mom : Yeh lo, first aid kit.

Rajveer grabbed the bag from her and started applying the ointment on Naina's hand. His concern was visible on his face as he applied the ointment whispering "it s going to be ok" to her. H carefully bandaged her hand and after making her sit in the hall...

Rajveer: Kya hai ye Naina...dekh ke karna chahiye na kaam....sirf haath pe gira, agar chehere pe girta ya aakh mein chala jaata toh kitna dard hota....tum bhi na...bohot dard ho raha hai kya ? I ll go and get you some pain killers.

Naina's parents are watching the scene tears in their eyes. It was as if they were witnessing Naveen. They had heard from numerous people about how much Rajveer cared for Naina, but to witness it was a totally different phenomenon.

Rajveer gained a little perspective and turned towards them. He had just yelled at their daughter in their house, in front of them.

Rajveer: S..Sorry . Wo mein kabhi kabhi mentor mode pe chala jaata hu. 

Mom: It's ok Rajveer.  Hum jo baat puchna chahte the...uss baat ka jawab hume mil gaya hai.

Both her parents came and sat on the sofa. Rajveer and Naina were sitting on the opposite sofa.

Mom: Toh kya socha hai...tumlogon ne, Kab shaadi karna hai tumhe ?