Part 8

Hey guys, I know I ve been dragging it , but lots of rajveer - naina romance coming up. 

***********************************************************************************************

The party was going smoothly. Everyone was having fun. A lot of people were emotional as they will be leaving their friends, their second home.

Rajveer was dancing with Shalini, but his eyes were on Naina, who was talking to Alekh at the bar . Naina could feel his gaze on her.  After the song ended, Rajveer and Shalini headed towards the bar. 

Dr Shalini: Hey Cadets, enjoying yourselves.

Alekh:  (fully drunk ) Apun toh fullll enjoy karrela hai Mam.....

All of them smiled looking at him. Some people just don't change.

Dr Shalini : Cadet Singh, Why aren't you on the dance floor ?

Naina: (laughing) Mam...mere partner ki haalat aap dekh rahe ho....

Dr Shalini: Offo, tumhe bhi isi k saath aana tha. You can't spend your evening like this. You go enjoy. I ll take care of him. 

Saying this, Dr Shalini took Alekh to the infirmary. Rajveer and Naina stood there fidgeting awkwardly.

Rajveer: Dr Shalini is right Naina, you should not waster your evening. 

Rajveer extended his hand and was about to ask her when...

Naina: Gunny...aap yaha ho, mein aapko kab se dhund rahi hu.

Gunny:  Oh my ! Lt Ahluwalia. I thought you could only shoot people with rifles. But aap toh iss saree mein itne katilana lag rahe hai ki.....( he mimed falling down with a hand on his heart)

Naina: (blushing)Gunny, please stop it. Vaise mein iss liye dhoond rahi thi, coz I wanted to have one last dance with you.

Gunny: It will be my pleasure Naina. Please.

Gunny extended his hand and Naina put her hand in his and went towards the dance floor. Rajveer watched disappointed, from a distance. He was disliking this Gunny guy more and more. All the cadets liked and respected him. Shalini and Abhi liked him. Even Naina ....the thought was unbearable. For a second, he could totally understand and empathize with Abhi. Abhi must have felt the same way when all the cadets were with Rajveer. Rajveer laughed at himself. How stupid was Abhi at that time? He was being equally dumb. He shook his head to clear out everything, and passed a warm smile to Gunny when their eyes met. Once the song ended, Abhimanyu took to the mic, congratulated everyone on the graduation , distributed their posting orders and started a speech about how they should make KMA proud...

Naina opened her order and Gunny looked on. She showed it to him and he looked at her. He came forward, put his arm around her and hugged her. THis was too much for Rajveer. He walked out. The speech was still on and many were talking about their orders, so no one noticed Rajveer marching out.

Rajveer went to his room, and started packing. He wanted to get as far away from there as possible. He had to report in Delhi the following week, why not leave early ?

Naina: Sir...Sir aap theek to hai na ? aap iss tarah chale kyun aaye ? tabiyat to kharab nahi hua ?

Rajveer turned. Naina was standing there posting orders in her hand, concern on her face.

Rajveer: I m fine Naina. Tum jaa sakte ho.

Naina: Sir...?

Rajveer: Kya hai Naina ? kyu jaana hai tumhe ki mein theek hu ya nahi ?

Naina: Aise kyun keh rahe ho sir ? mujhe fikr rehti hai aapki 

Rajveer: Fikr ? meri ? sach mein? tumhari yeh fikr kaha tha jab meine aakhen kholi thi ? 7 ghante intezaar kiya meine ? Tab kaha tha jab graduation ceremony ke baad mein tumse milne aaya.  Aayi bhi kab, jab yeh name tags baatne ho tab....

Rajveer stopped. Tears had formed in Naina's eyes. It was becoming difficult for him to continue. He turned around. Why did he always cause her pain ?

Rajveer: I m sorry Naina..mera matlab  woh nahi tha...mein actually

Naina: Nahi Sir, sawal karne ka poora haq hai aapko...aur mein aaj saare jawab dungi. 

She closed the door and came and sat on his chair, gesturing him to do the same. He came and sat in the opposite chair.

Naina : Mein aapse milna chahti thi...jab se aap k hosh aane ka khabar suna..usi pal daud ke aana chahti thi...graduation ceremony k din bhi...bohot mushkil tha aapke paas jaane se khud ko rokna.... Khud ko rok nahi paayi, isiliye sirf 5 minute ke liye unn name tags ka sahara le ke aayi.

Rajveer: Kyun rok rahi thi apne aap ko Naina....

Naina: Kyunki mujhe pata tha ki jab mein aapko dekhugi, mere emotions pe mera koi kabu naahi rahega. Aur mein kya karungi uss halat mein , yeh mein bhi nahi jaanti. Mein aisa kuch nahi karna chahti thi jiske wajah se aapko ya mujhe court-martial hona pade.

Rajveer looked up in surprise.

Naina: Kal tak, aap iss academy mein Officer on special duty the...aur mein ek cadet. Already humare rishte ke baare mein log hazar tarah ki gandi baatein kar rahe hai. Lekin ab mein kisis ko koi mauka nahi dena chahti hu. Yeh rishta mere liye khuda se bhi upar hai,  Isiliye aap se dur rahi.

Rajveer could not believe his ears. Was this the same Naina, who yelled at anyone anywhere she wanted ? who demanded in front of a whole class, why he wasn't talking to her ? She did exactly what he would have done in this situation. Infact this was what he did when Maj Bhargav plotted against them. There is a time and place for everything. A good soldier should know that and act accordingly. Naina did just that. To protect him. So that nobody could raise a finger at them. And now she is here, because after posting orders are given, she is no more a cadet KMA. It all made sense. He was the one who had lost his senses. The drugs must have really messed with my head, he thought.

Rajveer knelt down before her chair, holding her shoulders. Naina held his hands, tears flowing from her eyes.

Naina: I m really sorry that I hurt you Sir..

Rajveer: No Naina...What you did was absolutely right. You really have become a perfect soldier. I am so proud of you. It was me that became a little rusty. I think I need to retrain myself or you can be....my mentor.

Naina looked at Rajveer, bewildered. Rajveer was smiling. Naina burst out laughing.

Rajveer: I am serious. I think you will be an awesome mentor. Acha vaise Dr Shalini  told me a bit, but I want to hear the whole story. How was Operation Chanakya foiled by my cadets.

Naina wiped her tears and started.....they spent the whole night talking and discussing every aspect of what happened. The early rays started hitting the room, when Naina saw the time.

Naina: OMG 5 baj gaye...I have a bus for Nainital at 8. 

Rajveer's heart sank. She was leaving...him. After that a new posting, he won't be able to see her...

Rajveer: Naina....

Naina: Mujhe ek bohot hi secret mission ke liye bhej rahe hai sir..I don't know the location yet. I will be leaving next week.

Rajveer nodded. He knew exactly what that meant.

Rajveer: Chalo Naina. Mein tumhe bus stand tak chodta hu. 

Naina: Nahi Sir...Aap abhi bhi weak ho. Aap rest lijiye. Agar aapko mere liye kuch karna ho, toh aap please next week ek baar ghar pe dinner ke liye ayiye. Maa- Baba aapse milna chahte hai. Personally Thanks kehna chahate hai.

Rajveer: Iski kya zarurat hai Naina...aur kya woh ?

Naina: Haan ...wo sab kuch jaante hai...aur samajhte bhi hai.

Rajveer couldn't help but sigh in relief.