Part 4

Rajveer was pacing anxiously in the infirmary. Where is she ? All the cadets had come and gone. Brig. Chandolk, Suriji, Abhimanyu ,even Lolita mam had come to meet him. Alekh informed him that Naina was stuck at the ministry office, but it's midnight now...Where is she ? What was more important ? he thought angrily.

"Rajveer", he scolded himself, "What did you expect, she would come running into your arms like an old film heroine."

"Why not ? She loves me. The hug meant that din't it ?"  the other half of him questioned. 

"But a lot has changed in the last 8 months. None of your cadets are the same anymore. You can actually see their maturity now. And who was that new guy...Gunny"

When all of them were in the infirmary, a smart looking captain had entered and shook his hand. 

Gunny: Welcome back Captain Rajveer. I heard a lot about you from your cadets. It is good to finally meet you.

Rajveer smiled and shook his hand, and then quietly asked the others, when gunny went to speak to Dr Shalini.

Rajveer: Who is that ?

Yudi ( without thinking): Oh sir , that's Gunny, Captain Gaurav Randhawa...He is an awesome guy, awesome army officer. He helped us a lot in this case and he is Naina's new mentor.

Rajveer could literally hear something break inside him.

New mentor? How could someone else be Naina Singh Ahluwalia's mentor. That place was his and his alone. True, he wanted to be more than that, but in all the months he was in KMA, he knew Naina could never be his, or he be anything to her. The mentor-protogee relationship was all he had. It binded them. And now, some else....aahh....he wanted to scream out.  Dr Shalini knew he would not take her advise and rest and she had hence, locked him in the infirmary. Tierd and helpless, he finally took to bed and slept off.

The next day was the graduation ceremony. Rajveer was going to renew his oath and get his uniform back. He stood in the courtyard, looking at the surroundings. Brig Chandolk asked him to the dias, and as he was going  there, he stopped. Cadets were filling in, but the air had changed. He turned slowly. There she was...his reason to live and breathe. His Cadet Naina Ah Singh.  She stopped too and looked at him. They shared an intense eye lock. Rajveer had to control himself with all his might not to run towards her, hug her and tell her everything. Tell her how much he missed her, how much he yearned for her all these months. How thankful she was for all she's done, how proud he was of her..

Naina was in no better position. She could not even believe he was in front of her. She wanted to  run and be in his arms. She wanted to let out all her pain. She wanted to lose herself in his arms, the only place she knew she would feel safe, secure ..happy. 

Rajveer was about to take a step towards her, when she broke the eye contact, looked down, straightened her uniform and went to join her batchmates in the line.

Rajveer was disappointed as his eyes followed her. But Dr Shalini called him at that very moment, and he had to go onto the dias. He took his oath, and as his medals and cap were being returned to him, he couldn't help but feel emotional. Atleast one lost love was being returned to him.

He quickly went to the background, as the cadets start taking their oath. He looked upon all of the. He was so proud of each one of them. Then BC announced the best cadet. As Naina came on to the stage to collect the sword of honor, he clapped the hardest, his heart overflowing with pride and joy.

Abhimanyu, sitting next to him, looked at Rajveer, smiling slightly. Thinking it was best not to comment, he clapped for  Alekh who came in second.

BC then put Naveen's picture back on the wall of fame and announced a public apology to his family. Naina who had stood strong all through the ceremony was going weak by the minute. As everybody started to disperse, she moved forward towards the wall of fame surrounded by Alekh and the others. She touched her brother's photo, and broke down.  Alekh and all were standing there looking at their friend, tears in their eyes. How they wish they could bring back Naveen as well ? 

From afar, Rajveer and Abhimanyu saw Naina break down. Both started walking towards her to console her. Just as they were about to reach there, somebody put a hand on Naina's shoulder and lifted her up.

Gunny : Lt Ahluwalia, NO. You are now a soldier in the army. And soldiers in the army remember their commrades who have given up their life with joy and pride. Captain Naveen lay down his life for the country, and we are all proud of him and he is looking down at us now in happiness. 

Naina looked up at Gunny.

Gunny (winking) : So don't spoil his mood with your tears. 

Naina smiled while crying. Gunny wiped her tears. 

Gunny: C'mon. Let's eat something to raise a toast to Capt. Naveen. C'mon Abhi, Shalini.

Abhi: Yaa...Let's go, Raj.

Everybody started moving. Rajveer stood rooted on the spot. He turned towards the wall of fame.

Rajveer: Naveen, i am really happy you are back here, but i m not liking any of this one bit. Why is your sister behaving like this. Has she lost respect  for me after what happened in the court. May be...I was not able to fight for myself, or her. Capt Salve insinuated that she was the reason I killed someone. She had to go through all of it because of me. May be she doesn't want to talk to me. 

Thinking all this, Rajveer slowly moves towards the infirmary. On top, Naveen is smacking his head.

Raj...Tere jitna bada bevakuf toh koi nahi hoga...Tu aur tera yeh soch....tujhe isme bhi teri hi galti nazar aa rahi hai. Normal time pe toh, tu itna confident or clear headed hota hai. Jab Naina ki baat aati hai, toh tujhe ho kyaa jaata hai......Kash bhagwaan mujhe bas 2 mi k liye zinda kar dete,....tujhe toh do thapad marke tujhe sudharta...par ab sirf dekh sakta hu...dekhne de aage kya hota hai.