Chapter Thirteen

The voyage was not a long one, but Rosmaund had never been on a ship before, so she didn't feel well for the entire voyage.

 "You are lucky you're a vampire now," Rebekah remarked. "Were you still human, you would be much worse off than you are now."

 Rosamund merely nodded and said, "Then I will be grateful."

 Given that Sage was always taking up Finn's attention, and that she wasn't entire comfortable with his brothers, Rosamund finding herself spending quite a lot of her time with Rebekah. She hadn't known what to think of the Mikaelson sister at first, but she was beginning to find herself quite fond of the other woman, and Rebekah seemed to feel the same way.

 "Do you often tire of your brother's company?" Rosamund asked.

 Rebekah scoffed. "Of course. I always wanted a sister to play with. It's good to have the company of another woman."

 Rosamund nodded, and added a few more stiches.

 "Why do never invite Sage to join us?" she asked.

 "I do not like her," Rebekah replied rather bluntly. "I thought you would have noticed."

 "I did notice. But I thought perhaps-"

 "Rosamund, do you really want your sister here with all of her silly chattering? I have seen what she has done to my brother, and I do not need her here with me."

 "What do you mean?" Rosamund asked. "What has she done to Finn?"

 Rebekah put down her sewing. "Rosamund, surely you must realize that your sister and my brother are a wrong match. He says he is fond of her, and perhaps he is; Finn is honest. But she is not the sort of woman he would want for a wife or a lover. Do you believe they are a good match?"

 She hesitated before answering, but then slowly shook her head. "I do not believe they are. But they look to be happy together."

 "That does not mean they are," Rebekah pointed. "I thought you were the sort of woman he would have more interest in."

 Rosamund picked her head up. "Me?"

 "Yes. You are more the sort of woman he would show interest in, not your sister. If he had shown interest in you, I would have understood. Has he shown any interest?"

 "Well, he-we-he and I are...friends," she stammered. "He...warned me when all of you wanted to kill me."

 "That was necessary at the time," Rebekah said. "And I suppose he preferred to see you when Sage's presence was scarce?"

 "Yes. I suppose Sage may have been jealous if she knew of our walks and conversations."

 "Ah. Do you feel jealousy towards your sister?"

 "Of course not," Rosamund answered immediately. 

 "Well. If you say so. I would like you to know, however, that I much prefer your company to that of your sister."

 Rebekah went back to her sewing and said nothing else on the matter, so Rosamund did the same.

~~~~~~

 Rosmaund went out onto the deck one night, having found she couldn't fall asleep. It was dark, but somehow she could see in the dark better than she used to. It must have been something about being a vampire.

 She looked down at the daylight ring on her hand. That was what had kept her from burning up in the sun. She was grateful for it, grateful to Finn for getting it for her. But now that she was out here, in the night, she found she preferred it over the day.

 "Rosamund?"

 She turned around. "Finn. Is Sage-"

 "Asleep. I came out here to be alone, but I am happy to find you here as well. We have not had a chance to speak since...since we left your village."

 "You can say it," she said. "I miss Henry. He was my friend for so long. He was going to ask me to marry him. He never said so, but I know he was."

 "Would you have accepted?" Finn asked.

 She shook her head. "No. We would not have been a good man and wife. But I would have helped him find a wife he would be well-matched with, and I would have offered them both my friendship."

 "And you would have been a most wonderful friend. I am...so very sorry for everything that has happened, Rosamund. If I had been faster, and been able to find you in the fire before-"

 "Don't. I died, Finn. Let us not stay there in the past. I have a long future to concern myself with. What shall you and Sage do?"

 He seemed to cringe at 'you and Sage'. "Sage suggested that she and I leave my siblings, and we go somewhere else together."

 Rosamund raised her eyebrows. "And would you do so?"

 "I...I could not. We have vowed to stand with each other, and I cannot being myself to leave them. What shall you do?"

 "I've not a clue," Rosamund answered. "I am growing fond of your sister, Rebekah. If she wanted me to stay with her, I believe I would."

 Finn nodded. "I am happy to hear that. I would not want to say farewell to you too soon."

 She nodded back. "Neither would I." She paused. "I suppose I should try to sleep. We will be landing soon, and Rebekah may want my help with something. Goodnight, Finn."

 "Goodnight, Rosamund."

 She hurried inside, but she did stop to glance back at Finn. He was now standing alone on the edge of the deck, and she wondered what he was thinking.