Chapter Four

Rosamund stoked the fire until she thought it looked just right.

 "It's ready," she said to Henry.

 Rosamund's father had been a blacksmith, and when he died her brother was dead as well. The future of the little shop looked grim, but luckily there was Henry. He was strong, and her father had already taught him some of the work. Rosamund helped as much as she could, but she wasn't as strong as Henry so she left the heavier things to him.

 "Did you really go up there last night?" Henry asked.

 By 'up there', she knew he meant the castle. "Yes, I did."

 "Did Sage insist?"

 "She did, or I would not have gone," Rosamund answered. "It is such a dark place. There was indeed something frightening about it."

 After a short silence, Henry asked, "What are they like? These new lords."

 "There are five of them up there," Rosamund said. "Four brothers and a sister. The eldest is Lord Finn. He is the one who asked Sage to join them for supper."

 "What was he like?"

 After a moment's thought, Rosamund answered, "Quiet. Very quiet. I am not sure I could call him kind. He is certainly the most mysterious." She sighed. "Everyone must be wondering about them."

 "I have wondered," Henry answered. He looked around the shop, even though he knew they were alone. "That death...it was sudden, was it not? I know he was old, but...where did they come from?"

 "I do not think it is our place to judge. Things have been peaceful here, and I will not worry until something dreadful were to happen."

 He shrugged. "I suppose you're right. You often are. Most would think a woman has no place working in a blacksmith shop, and yet we have done well."

 She smiled. "We have."

 "Rosamund! Henry!" Sage came running to the doorway. "There's been a death."

 Rosamund stood up straight. "A death? Who?"

 Sage stepped in and glanced outside, as if to make sure no one was listening in. "It was old Weaver's daughter. She's been found dead."

 "What killed her?" Henry asked. "Not plague?"

 Sage shook her head. "I didn't see her body, but everyone's saying it was a wild creature of some kind. Her throat was torn open, and there was blood everywhere. Old Weaver knows not how it happened. He says he does not remember hearing her scream, or anything. He just found her in that way."

 Rosamund pushed past her wide-eyed sister and walked down the road to old Weaver's house. Sure enough, many of the villagers were crowded around, chatting and wondering just what had murdered the young lady.

 "And what is this, now?"

 Rosamund turned to see Lords Finn and Elijah walking up the path. Everyone grew silent as they approached, realizing who they were.

 "What has happened here?" Lord Elijah asked.

 "My daughter, sir!" Old Weaver pushed through the crowd looking distraught, his gray hair even more unkempt than was usual. "My Matilda was murdered in the night!"

 "By whom?"

 "Not whom, sir! By what! It was a wild creature!"

 "We have not heard of any wild creatures here," Lord Finn said, stepping up, "But we may know what it was. May we see the body?"

 The crowd parted, and the body of Matilda Weaver was carried out, wrapped in a sheet. Lord Elijah pushed aside part of the sheet, and from where she stood, Rosamund could see the girl's bloodied neck. Elijah glanced back at his brother, and the two shared what seemed to be a knowing look.

 "It was indeed some wild creature," Lord Elijah said, replacing the sheet. "I know not what it was, but we shall do our best to hunt it down before it can kill any others. Everyone, please go about your ordinary duties."

 He walked over to his brother, and Rosamund could tell from their faces that he had lied. He knew exactly what had killed Matilda Weaver.

 "Lord Finn, Lord Elijah," she said, stepping over and giving a quick curtsey.

 Elijah gave her a smile. "Rosamund. Did you know the young woman?"

 She nodded. "I have known her for most of my life. Lord Elijah, do you really not know what killed her?"

 He shook his head solemnly. "I am afraid I do not. My brothers and I are skilled with hunting, and we shall find the creature that murdered her."

 She nodded. "I see. Good day, then."

 Before turning away, she glanced at Lord Finn, who was looking at her curiously. She gave him a quick nod before walking back to the blacksmith shop.

 Back in the shop, Rosamund said, "I had only just said I would not worry until something dreadful happened."

 "You could not have known she was murdered in the night, Rosamund," Henry said gently. "The lords vowed to find what murdered Matilda before it can murder any others."

 Rosamund nodded along, pretending this helped her to feel better. But even if no one else had seen it, she knew that the lords knew what killed Matilda Weaver from the way they looked at each other. 

 The question was, why would they hide that knowledge?