Chapter 37

IT WASN’T A question of who she was but what she was doing here. Machayla knew this woman quite well. She was Mason’s partner from the firm that he worked for but that still didn’t explain why she was at the hospital. Did Mason send her? Was she apart of his schemes as well or was this just one hell of a coincidence?

All eyes were on her as the women with raven black hair came closer. She gave them all a somber look and pulled out a badge. “I’m Agent Leah Hassan. I work with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and I’d like to give my condolences.”

Dennis cocked his head to one side, “The FBI.”

“Yes.” Her eyes suddenly focused on Machayla, “And I’d like to have a few words with you Machayla.”

Machayla frowned. “You’re a cop?”

“More or less, yes.” Agent Leah answered.

“So who’s Isis?”

Agent Leah gazed at her then took a good look at the rest of them before she decided that they seemed trust worthy enough and gave a reply. “She an alias. I’ve been working undercover for a few months on an investigation and I’d like some information on your fiancé.”

Machayla crossed her arms under her breast. “Ex-fiancé.”

The agent nodded. “Alright then, ex-fiancé.”

“Why should I tell you anything?” Machayla retorted. She didn’t trust cops. For whatever reason, most tend to do the opposite of what they were sworn to do. Lieutenant Parks would be a prime example of that.

“Because I just took a chance by telling you who I am and what I do. A mistake that could easily get me killed.” The agent’s golden brown eyes flashed as sincerity poured out from them.

Machayla eyed her and decided that she still didn’t trust her.

She wanted to ask the rest of the crew about what she should do but she refused to have them think that she needed them or Jason to make a simple decision. She was a bit stronger, a bit wiser and less incompetent now that she knew the truth about what was going on around her. “I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt... for now.”

Agent Leah’s lips quirked. “That’s good enough for me. I’ll take whatever I can get. Back to the matter at hand, I’d like to have a few words with you. If you’d please come with me.” She turned on her heels and started to walk out of the room.

Machayla quickly guessed that she expected her to follow. Unfortunately for the agent, she wasn’t going to do that. Instead she crossed her arms over her chest and held her ground. “I’m not going with you.”

The Agent pivoted back on her step and turned towards them with a quirked eyebrow. “I didn’t think that I was giving you a choice.”

“She said, she’s not going,” Chico intervened.

Agent Leah let out an exasperated sigh. “If you haven’t heard yet, this is about your fiancé, Mason Scott. He’s a suspect in more than a few of our cases and you are affiliated with him. I have every right to apprehend you and bring you in for questioning and because I like you, I personally wanted to come get you myself instead of causing trouble by sending the police force to track you down. Now, we can either do this the easy way or the hard way. Doesn’t matter the least to me, you’re still going to end up in that station.”

“You can’t do that,” Sierra chimed in. “Our friend just died and it’d be unfair to question her at a time like this.”

Agent Leah Hassan cocked a brow. “I’m sorry for your loss. I truly am but I can and I will. And since we’re on the subject, you all must be Brandon Knight’s crew.”