Chapter 27

JASON THREW A fist at the white wall of their auto repair shop and marked off a fourth dent into it. He was livid and Drake, Victor, Carter, sierra, Denis, Chico, Tabitha and Machayla let him have his childish fit. It wasn’t until the knuckles on his right hand started to bleed that Tabitha hurried and grabbed his hand before he could hit the wall again.

“Let go!” He snapped.

She frowned at him while thinking it over and finally decided to heed his warning and released him. “Fine but hurting yourself isn’t going to fix anything.”

He quickly rounded on her with a deep scowl, his green eyes blazed with anger. “This is all your damn fault.” He muttered under his breath but she heard him.

“Excuse me?!”

Jason flexed his now bloody hand and narrowed his eyes at her. “This is all your fault!” He shouted but before Tabitha could answer to his accusation, Drake moved her aside.

“Calm down.” His voice was filled with authority as he once again faced his brother in a stare off.

“How can I when we don’t even know if Brandon is alive or dead? All because of her,” he snapped as he gave Tabitha a pointed look. “Why don’t you go back to the damn city you ran to five years ago? The only thing you’re good for is screwing things up for everyone with that big mouth of yours. I swear if you’d just stop being so damn self absorbent for once, you’d be a better use for everyone!” Jason finished off.

He was probably going to regret his sudden outburst when he finally calmed down but at the moment, he couldn’t care less because in all honesty, it really was her fault. If only she’d kept her mouth close and not challenge Mason to a race, Brandon would’ve never had to race in her place.

“Come on man, be fair.” Chico butted in. “She didn’t know that M-”

“No,” Tabitha cut him off tightly “it’s ok. He’s right; it is my fault we’re in this mess. I’ll just be on my way. Make things better for everyone, right?” Turning on her heels, she pushed through everyone and walked out of the shop. Though her face showed no emotion, her voice gave her away. She was hurt, angry by Jason’s words and it didn’t take Drake longer than a second to notice, send his brother a disapproving glare and go after her.

“Really Jason?” Sierra started. “You just had to go there didn’t you.”

“Not now!” He retorted roughly.

“Watch your tone when you speak to her.” Carter snapped.

“Or what?” Jason challenged. “I already got you once tonight,” he nodded to the dried up blood on Carter’s forehead.

“Bet you won’t get a chance to do it a second time!”

Jason took a step towards Carter but a hand latched onto his arm and held him in place before he could take another. He turned to tell whoever it was to bug off but stopped when he saw her.

“Your friend is somewhere dying,” Machayla said in a no nonsense tone. “Do you really want to do this right now?”

Jason sighed and chided himself. She was right. He was angry and taking it out on the wrong people. Something in the far corner of the shop, where the spray paint machines that they used on the cars, caught his eyes.

Victor, he looked devastated. He was sitting on a spare bench with his face in his hands as the rest of them argued on. Jason felt like the most immature of the group right then. He wasn’t the only one worried about Brandon but he was the only one throwing a temper which was probably making things worst and more stressful for everyone.