Chapter 30

HE WASN'T SPEAKING to her. He spared her a cold lingering glance full of irritation when she and Tabitha came back to the hospital, practically growled at Tabitha who’d simply rolled her eyes in response and without a word headed back into the hospital with stiff shoulders.

Machayla sighed as the stress of the day weighted down on her own shoulder blades. In one day she’d met a few interesting people, was held at gun point by Jason’s little hot headed ex fling, had to stop a man from bleeding to death and practically left her abusive fiancé who was surely out for hers and Jason’s blood.

No doubt she was a dead woman walking.

“Don’t worry about him. He’s just having a rough night.” Machayla looked over her shoulders to find Chico with a smile on his face though his eyes screamed exhaustion; the same exhaustion that was held in all of their eyes.

“We all are,” Carter piped in as he circled an arm around Sierra and rested her head on his shoulders.

“I think it’s time we head home. There isn’t anything we can do by hanging around this god forsaken place and waiting for good news.” Drake sounded off as he lit up what Machayla could only guess was marijuana.

Tabitha, who was only a foot away from Drake scowled at him and scoffed at his bad habit. “Pig.” She muttered loud enough for all who were present to hear.

Drake simply looked her up and down, switched his gaze, and smirked. “Too easy.”

Tabitha’s hazel eyes narrowed into slits as she shot daggers at him. “You know what? I think I’ve had enough of you and your brother disrespecting me for one night. I’m going home. If anything changes, let me know.” Turning towards Machayla she said, “let’s go.”

Confused Machayla frowned. “Go where?”

“You’re staying with me for the night. Where else would I take you at a time like this?”

“I don’t know. Back to where I live?” Machayla answered though she knew that that was the last place on earth that she’d want to be. Somewhere deep, deep inside she was happy that Tabitha took the initiative to not let her go into that house where Mason would have undoubtedly put her in the hospital next to Brandon. But on the surface, she was annoyed. Once again she was being told what to do and when to do it, she was being controlled.

“You know that’s not going to happen.” Tabitha answered seriously.

“Neither is letting her stay with you.” Everyone’s eyes switched to the main entrance of the hospital where Jason suddenly appeared.

Machayla took him in one fell swoop and her heart automatically lurched. He looked worn out as ever. His shirt was wrinkled and his hair was in a state of disarray, sticking up every which way. His green eyes no longer shown with that underlying mischief but instead were dull and practically lifeless. He needed some rest and soon… Right after she set him and his friends straight.

“So where exactly am I going?” She deliberately asked harshly. She was an adult but she’s never felt like such a child. They were arguing over where to take her like two divorced parents with a vendetta towards one another. This led her to believe that it was Jason who Tabitha was having a go with over the phone a while back in the car.

Jason weary eyes met her angry ones and he let out a ragged sigh. “You should pick who to go with BUT, if it’s back to that house where that son of a bitch is waiting for you, then you might as well follow me to the car.” He ended in a harsh tone that he’d never used with her before. It had her wondering where the guy that she first met at the park went. Was this Jason’s true colors?