Chapter 41

Machayla’s brown eyes widen in shock for a bit only to dilate back to its normal size when she frowned. “He really is desperate for that money?" With a frustrated breath, she leaned against the wall. "I haven't even seen it much less touched it. And Mason, what could lieutenant Parks possibly give Mason, that he doesn’t already have?”

“More power. Ego is the only thing that drives people like Mason. He wants to be a top dog. Too bad for him because this dog will be put down,” Jason bit out and dug into his pockets. When he finally found what he was searching for he muttered a curse. He quickly walked around her and headed over to a table in the far right corner of the room next to a moderately large entertainment system where a black land line sat.

Grabbing the phone he quickly dialed Drake’s number. It went straight to voice mail.

“Shit!” He barked.

Machayla approached him. “What is it?”

“Drake’s phone is dead.” Jason dug in his pocket and pulled out his phone. “And so is mines.” He wanted to kick himself for not keeping a fully charged phone on his person at all times. Their mom most likely called if she ever had the chance!

Looking around the living area he searched for a spare charger his mother always left out just in case. He quickly found it plugged into a power outlet behind one of the couches and plugged in his phone. It took less than a minute to start up and the second it did, Jason went straight into his call history.

“What are doing?” Machayla questioned beside him with a helpless look etched onto her face.

“Calling Tabs,” he quickly answered. "She should still be with Drake... hopefully."

Machayla frowned when a little green monster peeked its ugly head and she wondered why Jason had her number on his phone. Ashamed, she thanked God it went unnoticed by Jason as he put the phone to his ears and barked “Tabitha where's Drake?... What?... No! See if you can catch him. I can’t reach his cell.” He waited on the line until he heard his brother’s concerned voice.

“Jace is everything alright?” Drake asked.

Jason wanted to growl at his brother for calling him his childhood name but now wasn’t the time. “They took her man. I went to the house and she’s gone. They got her.”

“Wait, they took who?” Drake sounded puzzled.

“Mom! Mason and his fucking goons took her.”

“Fuck!” Drake muttered over the phone. “Wait, how do you know someone took her?”

“Her phone is in pieces, there’s blood on the floor and the door was open,” Jason bit out impatiently.

“They really do have a damn death wish. I’ll be there in less than ten,” Drake snapped before the line went dead.

              Jason placed the phone down and rubbed his temples as the headache that he’d been sporting all day became a full blown migraine. He headed over to the stairs and sat down on the last two steps. He wanted to cry, he wanted to scream and got damn it he wanted to kill that sorry piece of shit for involving his mother into this war.

A war he was sure Mason wasn’t going to come out of breathing.

As he released a heavy breath he felt delicate arms wrap around his hard mid-section. He looked back to see Machayla sitting on the steps behind him and tried his best to smile but his lips refused to stretch into it. With a sigh he turn back around and felt her place her lips at the nape of his neck. Warmth blossomed through him and he placed his hand on hers and laced their fingers.