Ch. 20

The castle is absolutely. . .gigantic. Its beautiful, wooden stairs ascending to where I can't even see.

"This is where you live?" Claire gasps.

"Yeah," Avery clasps his hands behind and gives me a cocky look. I turn away and cross my arms.

It was a nightmare getting here, I was squished between Avery and Claire. I have no idea how we all fit, not to mention that no one stopped us.

Claire walks to the railing, looking down and craning her neck to see further.

"So are you going to answer my questions or not?" I turn to Avery, putting on the best stern look I have.

"Uh. . .no." I'm speechless, my mouth is hanging wide open and no words will come out. "I lied. I'm actually going to try to get your memory back before I can explain anything to you. Only because its a lot of work to do, so no," he shrugs casually.

"What?" I force the words out of my throat.

"But sadly, we have to go to a volley ball game right now," he continues as if I hadn't said anything. "Apparently Alexandrea started playing and she wants us to come watch her practice."

"I'm not going anywhere with you until you give me answers," I crossed my arms stubbornly.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Of course I am," I turn away from him again and stop my foot down.

"I gave you the option," he grabs my legs and flips me upside down so my face is at his lower back and my feet hang in the air. I hold on tight around his waist.

"Let me down!" I scream.

"Come on Claire," he lets go so he's holding me with one arm. She shrugs and follows him downstairs.

I bang on his back with my fists over and over, yelling at him to put me down but my voice gets scratchy so I give up.

We go through double doors and reach a gym. There's a basket ball court, a volleyball net, and a mini tennis court.

Avery lets me down and I fix my shirt, glaring at him. My attention gets pushed over to the volleyball court. We walk over and sit against the wall next to the net where we have the perfect view.

"Avery! Elise!" a girl walks over to us and then turns her attention toward Claire. "New girl!"

"Oh, right," Avery mumbles. "This is Alexandrea."

"You're sooo pretty!" Claire walks up to the girl, Alexandrea, and grabs her multicolored hair.

"Thank you," she beams. "I would love to stay and chat but I've got a game to win!" she holds up a fist and puts on a determined look.

"This is a practice game, you know," Avery shakes his head at her.

"I know," she says before prancing over to where she was and putting her hands together, ready for the ball.

Avery sits against the wall and I grab Claire and go about fifteen feet before sitting away from him.

Avery's pov

I listen to Claire drone on as I pretend to watch the game, taking small glances at Elise. She has her back to me. She keeps looking at Claire but turning her head toward the game.

Andrea will want to know if she did good so I try to pay attention. I sigh, "This is so boring," I mumble. I lean my head against the wall and close my eyes.

Elise screams and an alarm goes off in my head. I rush over to her, grabbing her middle and placing her body away from Claire and her head in my lap. The ball bounces off of the floor where Elise was and bounces away.