Ch. 6

Weeks went by and everyone forgot about me disappearing.

But I didn't. Every night I sit on my bed and look out the window, wondering if he'll ever come back. I know it sounds crazy, to think that after a couple of days I could feel so strongly for a person.

My family calmed down about me leaving the house and my dad moved out. Soon we all went to court and fought who we were going to live with. Of course we stayed with our mom.

Life went on almost normal, if you call normal having a love raging were wolf as a teacher. Other than that things were normal.

William said sorry and had an explanation of how he was mixing chemicals for a were wolf who wanted to become human and stay human. He spilled the chemicals on himself and it changes him every full moon.

I lay in my bed, too tired to go to sleep. With my eyes open, I roll over trying to get in a more comfortable position.

A familiar buzzing noise fills my ears and I sit up. I frown and rub my eyes. As it gets louder and louder I turn on my light and blink away the colorful spots in my vision.

My stomach turns in a nervous way and I back up against the wall as my window opens. My heart jumps.

Dezerea sticks her head through the window.

I put a hand over my beating heart. "Jesus Dezerea, you scared me half to death!"

She pushes herself through the small window and dusts herself off. She stops and looks at me with concern plastered on her face. "We need your help."

"What's wrong?"

"It's Avery...he's disappeared," she takes a step forward and for the first time, specks of tears twinkle on her blue cheeks.

"What? Are you sure he didn't just go somewhere to get away?" I ask.

"No," she shakes her head. "He's been gone for weeks."

"What?" I whisper.

"We've been looking everywhere, we can't find him," she looks out the window and turns back to me. "But you can."

"Me...? How?"

"Do you know how we found out you left?" she smiles sadly.

I lift up my shoulders and let them fall in an attempt to shrug.

"We found him sitting on his bed. He would talk to anyone for a month, we tried everything to cheer him up," she wipes away a fallen tear. "The only thing I got out of him was, he said you were going to forget about him, that he would never be able to hold you again."

I hold back tears and whisper, "he said that?"

"This is just like last time," she shakes her head. "That's why he's so upset."

"What do you mean...last time?"

"This isn't the first time he had fallen in love with a human, although she wasn't as protected as you are."

"Okay, wait, back up...what are you talking about?"

"There was a girl who Avery fell in love with, but she was different and they could actually touch," she smiles.

"And what do you mean she wasn't as protected as I am?" I ask her.

"You have an ancient spell on you, and Avery couldn't touch you because of it, that day when he saved you from the towns people is when he broke the spell. That's also when he realized when he truly cared for you," she explains.

"What happened to the girl?"

"Well she died, they never found her body," she sighs. "It teared all of us apart, she lost the memories of her family and one day she just disappeared. I guess that's when the Elders said that mortals and immortals couldn't be together."