Ch. 5

Elise pov 

Sitting on my bed, I flip through the diary. There's nothing really interesting in here accept more letters from L. R. W. 

Everyone is out doing whatever they're doing so I decided to stay here and read. 

I sigh flipping past more letters until I find a sign with notes on all sides. 

I look closely and it looks like the letters they're fading into the page and disappearing. I gasp and rub the page but when I move my hand the letters are completely gone. 

"Elise?" 

I shoot my head up and tuck the diary under my blanket and sit up. 

"Hi, Avery," I answer awkwardly. 

"What was that?" he asks. 

"What was what?" I play dumb. 

"The thing you just hid under your bed," he shakes his head. 

"It's...its my....um," I have to find something. "My book, that my grandma gave to me." 

"I never saw a book with you," he raises his eye brows. 

"That's because I was hiding it," I lie. 

He shakes his head again. 

"Why have you been avoiding me?" he crosses his arms. 

"I haven't been avoiding you," I lie again. 

He frowns and sits on next to me on the bed. "When I asked if you wanted to take a walk you said you were busy, when I smiled at you, you looked away, at breakfast you wouldn't even look at me, when-"  

I put my finger against his lips for him to stop talking. "Please. Stop." 

"Than tell me what's going on," he pleas. Sadness deep in his eyes. 

I sigh. "You were very rude to me and it hurt my feelings," I say truthfully. "The day you told me to stay away from William." 

"He's dangerous," Avery starts. 

"Stop!" I slam my hand down on my bed. "You're just being jealous." 

"I am not!" Avery argues. 

I roll my eyes. "You still didn't have to act like that," I hold back tears. 

Avery puts hand hand on mine. "I am sorry, and I know some of this isn't because of me is it?" 

I move uncomfortably. 

"You're thinking about your family again aren't you?" 

I breath in shakily. "How do you always know?" 

He puts his other hand on my cheek. "Because your eyes look far off and they fill up with tears." 

A tear drips onto my cheek and he wipes it away. 

"Thanks," I sniffle. 

"Maybe we should visit your parents," he shrugs. 

"If I visit I'll have to stay, forever. They won't let me come back," I shake my head. 

Avery sighs. "We have to think of something though." 

"Before I can't remember them at all," I finish what he was thinking. 

"So you know?" 

I nod. 

"Maybe you do need to live with your family," he sighs. "It's probably not good to stay here all the time but maybe we'll see each other."