Ch. 18

Avery's pov

A pang hits my stomach, sitting straight up in my bed and look at the empty spot. I get up and run to Dezerea's room.

"Dezerea!" I yell.

"What do you want? I'm trying to sleep here!"

"Where is Elise?" I ask.

"How should I know?" she puts the pillow over her head so I run to Alexandrea's room. But I run into Daisy.

"Avery!" she hugs me.

"Sorry, Daisy I can't talk right now," I try go around her but she moves in my way.

"Are you looking for Elise?" she asks.

"How did you know?" I stop trying to get around her.

"I was just talking to Alexandrea about her. She dropped her off at school yesterday-"

"Wait, yesterday?"

"Yes Avery, you've been asleep for two days but that's what I heard from Alexndrea," she says.

"Two days?" I tug on my hair. "I really have to go!"

When I finally get past her she tugs on my hair to bring me back-because I don't have a shirt on still-and she starts to talk again. "Avery, it's okay. Elise explained the situation to Alexandrea and she told me so I put a little spell of protection around her."

"Thanks Daisy," I say.

She smiles and hugs me again. "Now I want you to come with me. I need to show you something."

"Daisy, I really just need to see Elise."

"Are you underestimating my powers again?" she smirks.

"No, I need-"

"Well you're going to love me for this, trust me," she grabs my arm and drags me to her house.

"Don't you remember who's birthday it is?" she smiles, bringing me inside.

"No, I don't," I sigh.

Derek walks into the living room. "Hey Avery, long time no see!"

"What are you doing here?" I ask slowly, turning to Daisy. "What the hell is he doing here?" I yell.

"I thought you would like it," tears fill her eyes and she turns away. "After all these years, I thought the three of us could hang out again, like the old days."

"Daisy, don't cry," I walk up and put my hand on her shoulder but she jumps into my arms. "Daisy, let go."

When she finally does she wipes her tears away. "Im sorry, but the old days brings back too many happy memories for me to comprehend."

Derek smiles like an idiot at me. I would like to punch it off. "So it's your birthday huh?" I cross my arms.

He nods. "I couldn't wait to see you! Do you know how long it's been?"

"Yes, I understand that it's been long."

"Then how about we have some cake and celebrate!" Daisy lightens up instantly and brings out a chocolate cake with vanilla icing.

"I'm not that hungry," I say.

"Oh come on, you can't be at a birthday party without cake," Derek says, sitting down at the small table in the living room.

"Look guys I just want to go," I start for the door but Daisy brings me back.

We haven't even sang happy birthday," she lights the candles.