Ch. 8

I bite the inside of my cheek to stop from shouting out. What is Avery doing here? 

He looks everywhere but me. 

"Avery, can I talk to you?" William gestures for him to walk out. 

"Oh my god!" one of the girls I recognize as Amber coos. "He is gorgeous!" 

Jealously builds up inside me. 

Claire taps me on the shoulder. "Now we have a hot teacher and a new cute student!" 

I moan and slam my head against my desk as they walk back in class. 

Avery sits in the back. 

I watch the clock as it ticks slowly away. Why can't time go by any faster? 

I frustratedly tap against the side of my desk to an unrhythmic tune. 

"Elise?" 

I hear someone talking but I'm in too much of a daze to register that someone is talking to me. I keep on tapping away. 

A piece of paper gets thrown at me. I blink a couple times before I turn around to see Amber.  

"What?" I ask impatiently. 

"Quit tapping!" she whispers. 

I roll my eyes and go back to my little tune that I've made up. 

"I said," she rolls up a paper and throws it at me. "Stop!" 

"Maybe if you'd stop throwing things at me!" I stand up, clenching my fists into balls.

"Is there a problem?" William asks. I ignore him and sit down. 

After class I rush out and go to my locker, grabbing a book and replacing it with another. 

I walk to art. 

I grab my drawing and sit down in my regular place with my supplies. I start to pencil in a circle, adding more to the doodles on the paper. 

I almost break my pencil when I see Avery walk into art. He stands next to an empty seat at my table. "Is this seat taken?" he smirks. 

"No," I grumble. 

He sits down and instantly Amber comes over and sits on Avery, straddling him. 

She stuns me. 

"You should help me study," she smiles. 

"Amber," I call her. 

She turns around to glare at me. "What do you want?" 

"Get off of him!" I clench my teeth. 

"Why?" she tries to look innocent. "Am I making you jealous?" she kisses his neck. 

I get up and walk over to her, grabbing the ugly bun on the top of her head and yank it so she falls to the ground. She yells out in pain. 

"If you ever put your grimy hands on him again I will be the first one to beat your ass," I grab Avery's hand and walk out of class. 

Kids murmur as I open the door and slam it after. 

"Why are you here?" I ask as I sit across from him at a bench. 

"Well I thought this would be the best way for us to see each other," he shrugs. 

I nod. 

He starts to laugh. 

"What?" 

"You should have seen your face in there. You were scary," he smiles. 

"I don't know what what came over me..."