Ch. 16

I wake up with my mom, Jacob, my dad, and Abby around me. Avery is in the corner, sitting in the chair and focusing on me. Everyone is talking in a circle except for Abby, which is staring at me.

I peak through my lashes and stare at everyone. Abby gets closer to me and narrows her eyes. I open my eyes wider and wink at her. "She's awake!" Abby squeals.

"The grown-ups are talking," mom says, waving her away with her hand.

"But she really is awake this time," she steps towards me, grinning.

Jacob glances at me, relief flooding his expressions. "Oh my God! She is!"

They all turn to me.

Tears come from everyone in the room as they crowd around me and ask me all sorts of questions. Avery stands up going into the back, away from the crowd.

"What happened," I mumble.

Before anyone can get another word out a doctor comes through. "Step back! You're crowding her, step back!" he makes his way through my family but all I see is the huge needle in his hand.

"Don't tell me thats for me," my mouth is suddenly dry.

The doctor looks at me to the needle and nods. "You need these shots."

I look at my mom. "I'm not getting them!"

"You have to honey," she says.

I shake my head. "No!"

The doctor sits in the chair next to me but I scoot over as far as I can, every inch tearing apart my chest.

A gasp comes out of my mouth.

The doctor plunges the needle in my arm without a second glance.

I let out a piercing scream, tears flooding my eyes so I can't see. Everyone covers their ears except for Avery, who runs to my side, grabbing my hand and giving an encouraging squeeze.

The doctor pulls it out and then, puts a bandage on it.

"All better," he pats my shoulder.

I growl at him.

I look Avery. "No," I whisper, pulling out of his grasp. "It's hurting you."

"No it's not," he lies.

I frown at him. "I can see it in your face."

He grabs my hand again. "I haven't been able to touch you and you actually feel it for three weeks."

I suddenly forget about the needle that was just in my arm. "Three weeks?"

"You've been in a coma," my mom says.

"For three weeks?"

She nods. "The doctors are surprised you weren't more beat up then you were. Plus they didn't expect you to have your memory."

"Wow," I murmur. "That's a lot to take in."

A nurse comes in. "No more visits. She needs to rest those broken ribs."

I watch everyone leave and I want to tell them not to. Avery kisses my forehead and walks out too.

I cross my arms lightly over my chest. "I just got out of a coma how much freakin' rest to I need?" I mumble as the nurse closes the curtains.

She eyes me and purses her lips but walks out without saying anything.

The same doctor that gave me the shot comes back in. "Don't worry, I'm not armed,"he holds up his hands.