eighteen

KAYA'S POV

"Look, I don't think we should all go. Just two of us and the rest of us go back to the house and wait for any news," Kylie, with her smart thinking, suggested. She held my hand tightly, Amelia occasionally sneaking a glance in my direction scared something would happen to me.

Everyone muttered an okay, too in shock to speak.

Well, I was too in shock. I didn't really know about anyone else. Kylie, unlikely of her, was suitably trying to sort things out with her functional mannerisms, but this whole situation was anything but functional. You couldn't simply work around others' needs to fix this, because it was going to take a whole lot more than agreeing and nodding and muttering indistinctive thoughts.

And staying set in my beliefs, I tried to move, tried to do something - anything. I couldn't though. I couldn't bring myself to do anything. Not even nod. Not even form a reply. So I just stood there, listing the endless possibilities of what had happened to them, to him, in my head.

I didn't know whether I was meant to, but I was aware of Zayn's feelings about me. Niall had told me on our night out and because of the mere wanting to not complicating anything, I didn't overthink anything, but now: now, it was all about thinking - thinking about anything - all the little things.

I wasn't really sure when, where or how the feelings arose, but I was guessing it was when all of had a pretty hectic, party-animal night at the club. In which I supposedly had "fun" with Zayn, it was all still a blur, though.

"I think I should go with Kylie," Niall bit down on his bottom lip signalling for me to walk over to him and I did. My timid footsteps were being watched by everyone as I eventually reached him. He enveloped me in his arms, scared I would collapse at any second. Just like everyone else.

That's what I felt like though, like I was going to collapse. I wasn't too sure what the cause was. And I also didn't know why I was so affected. Maybe it was because a part of me knew this was my fault. But, another, not so sure.

"Ring us as soon as you get there," Harry anxiously tossed his car keys in Niall's direction as a lost Amelia just stood absentmindedly next to him.

Everybody was being so cautious, wary. It was somewhat scary. Like they knew something was wrong, but it was all being hidden from me, kept away, I was being secluded from this information. However, that was probably me being completely ridiculously stupid again.

"I will," Niall nodded and then led me away to Harry's car.

I wasn't quite sure if it was legal or not, but legality was the least of my worries right now.

LIAM'S POV

Kylie drove with me on the way back. Probably because none of us wanted to go home alone, Harry was with Amelia and I was with Kylie.

I didn't really know much about the girls. After all, I wasn't the one who had to date them. But they let off a mysterious aura. Almost as if they had this wall put up in front of them, they wouldn't let anybody break it down. As if they didn't want anyone to break it down, but that was nearing impossible due to these relationships nearing complicated. More complicated than what management had assumed, more complication involved than what any of had assumed.

"Why was Kaya so scared?" Kylie muttered most probably voicing her thoughts and not expecting a response.

"She thinks it's her fault," I chewed on my bottom lip not taking my eyes off the road.

"But why?"

"She thinks Zayn was mad at her causing him to lose control."

"But that's not possible."

"It is."

"What do you mean?"

"Zayn isn't very friendly when he's mad."

"Oh."

That was the only time we spoke on our way back home. The remainder of the time I spent too deep in thought to spark up any conversation, and Kylie spent it gazing out of the window.

NIALL'S POV

"No, Ky, she's just sat. She's not talking to anyone or drinking or eating. I don't know what to do," I whispered to Kylie over the phone. I had told her I had gone to get something to drink, but I had rather gone outside to gain some fresh air and to ring Kylie for advice of some sort.

"Can you give her the phone please?"

"Yeah, just give me a couple of minutes, just hold on."

I walked back into the building. Trying to avoid anyone who would notice me and eventually made it to the ward where the boys were lying lifeless on the hospital beds. Kaya continued to sit next to Zayn's side, her head buried into her hands - occasionally sneaking a glance at Louis.

"Kaya, Kylie wants to talk to you."

Her head flashed up and she wearily trotted over to me, taking the phone out of my hand and walking out.

I went and took her place on the empty seat. It was one of those seats that would make your bum all numb after sitting in the same position for too long. But, my bum being numb was the least of my worries right now. So I just sat there, hoping to catch even a stir from either, both of them.

"Doc. Can you tell me what's going on?" I said when a doctor, wearing a lab coat, walked in. He was a tall-ish guy.

"It should be nothing too serious for Zayn. They're not both in coma, just asleep. Deep sleep. We had to put them into it to carry out tests. Zayn should be awake soon, I'm not so sure about Louis, though," he plastered a sad smile on my face, but his words sparked my attention.

"What do you mean they're not both in coma? Does that mean Louis is?" I knew my face held horror, but Kaya's frail body by the door caught my attention.

"Louis was on the passenger side. And when Zayn tried to avoid crashing, the car toppled and Louis was hurt."

"When do you think Louis will be awake?" Kaya choked whilst a tear trickled down her cheek as she held the door frame for support.

"We can't tell, I'm sorry," and with that he left the room.

I stood up immediately and ran over to Kaya, who looked like she was about to pass out any minute. I cupped her cheek and instructed her to look at me.

"Kaya, look at me," she looked up at me, but I knew she was trying to avoid my eyes, "none of this is your fault and you can keep on blaming yourself, but it's all bullshit."

"It isn't bullshit though, is it Niall? If I would've gone with Zayn, he wouldn't have gotten mad and we would be riding on those freaking rides right now!" she yelled at me, her voice was strained and tears were now freely flowing down, I didn't think she knew though as she didn't even make an effort to wipe them away.

Part of me thinks she's right and if she did go with him none of this would've happened, but another part of me knew that there's more to the accident than her not going with him.

"And how do you know that for sure, Kaya? Tell me, how do you know for sure? Because I certainly don't."

"I'm going home," she pulls her face away from the grasp of my hand, but the movement from one of the beds behind me stops me from going after her.