fourteen

ZAYN’S POV

     I had no idea where we were going. I thought I did, but then I sort of took the wrong turn and now there I was pretending that I knew exactly where we were going and what I was doing.

     “Um, Zayn?” Sam said anxiously.

     “Yes?” I said, but my voice betrayed me – it came out more of a squeak.

     “Where are we?” she asked sweeping her fringe to one side.

     We were travelling up a rocky hill – by foot - and the rain was chucking down. All I hoped is that neither of us lost our footing because then we would most definitely be in for it.

     “Just a little longer.” I groaned struggling to climb over the edge.

     “Zayn do you need help?” a voice came from above and when I looked up, Samantha was standing at the top of the hill holding her hand out for me to take. Gladly, I took it and she chuckled once we were both standing at the top of the hill.

     “You’re such a dork,” she laughed and I swore I saw the colour of her eyes lighten, she smiled a smile I had never seen on her face before and for once it felt genuine – real.

     “You done staring mate?” she asked a smirk playing on her lips with her eyebrows raised.

     “Are you happy?” I blurted out and she groaned.

     “Really, Zayn, really?” she said setting herself down on the wet grass.  Not bothering about it being wet or not, I sat myself down next to her.

     “Yes, really. Are you seriously happy?”

    “Zayn,” she sighed, “you can’t expect to answer that positively when I’m being forced into dating someone I don’t like.”

     “Forget about that for a second,” I ordered her. “Close your eyes and imagine you never met us and we didn’t mess anything up in your life. Are you happy?”

     “Yes,” she nodded smiling at me.

     Lies.

     Lies.

     Lies.

     She was living a life of lies. She was so convinced she was happy when in reality she really wasn’t. She was hiding behind a mask and with each passing day the mask become more and more concealed. She was telling herself and everyone around her that she was happy, but when really she wasn’t.

     “Seriously Zayn, stop overthinking it. I’m honestly fine and I’d tell you if I wasn’t okay?” she smiled and I nodded my head.

     “Promise me you’ll talk to me if anything happens?” I turned to face her and she smiled at me.

     “I promise,” she told me.

     I was not going to ruin whatever the hell is meant to happen tonight or whatever the hell was happening right now. She dangled her legs over the edge of the hill and the view in front of us wasn’t exactly the most picturesque. However, it was decent enough to watch in the pitch black. Different coloured lights filled the scene in front of the pair of – assortments of blinding white and golden yellow and piercing red and alarming green: lights were to be seen everywhere on this cloud filled, dark night.

     “Zayn?” she asked timidly not making eye contact with me.

     “Yeah?” I whispered.