chapter 19

Aria stood outside in the snow, sipping her butterbeer as she looked up at the sky. The snow fell around her, covering her dark hair and landing against her tan skin. She loved the snow. She even stuck her tongue out to catch the snowflakes on her tongue. She giggled a bit as she did. She tried not to act so childish but something about snow made even the oldest of adults act like children. She placed her empty glass on a stone wall that was nearby. She then did something else that would be considered childish. She closed her eyes, raised her arms straight out and spun around in circles. Her dress twirled around her. Someone might have compared her to an angel. As she spun one last time she felt arms go around her and she opened her eyes startled. She looked up into the eyes of Professor Snape.

            “Professor” Aria gasped as she stepped back, but he did not release her. In fact he pulled her closer. “Sir, someone might see”

            “Let them” he whispered as he started dancing with her. She followed his lead as a song she loved came on.

            They danced gracefully in the snow as the song “all for love” played across the courtyard. He held her closer then she thought he would and he was gentle. She was amazed at how well he could dance. Aria looked up at him with a small smile. He hadn’t changed his expression, but she didn’t mind. She loved looking at him and she knew she wasn’t going to have much time to look. She leaned her head against his chest as her vision started to blur and the world around her began to spin. She held on to him tightly, and refused to let go until the song was over. As the song came to an end she looked up at him and pulled on his tie. She made him lean his head down then she pressed her lips against him, kissing him like it might be the last time.

            “Aria” Snape whispered. He touched her head, it was rather warm. “Are you sick?”

            “No, sir”

            “It’s time you call me by my name when it’s just us” Professor Snape spoke softly as he looked down at her. She felt her heart speed up as she pulled away from him. “I wanted to talk to you”

            “I did too”

            “Good, then let me speak” Aria kept her back to him, the snow falling around her, causing her to shiver. She felt something warm on her shoulders and looked to see Severus, as he wanted her to call him, placing his coat over her shoulders. She continued after a few moments. “I have been thinking these last few months. I knew that I love you and that I want to be with you. I know it’s against the rules and its wrong, but life is too short, especially with the things I’ve seen.”

            “Aria” Severus started to speak but she shook her head, silencing him.

            “I was thinking, if you wanted” She turned to face him. “I was thinking, maybe we could… I don’t know, get married”

            “Are you crazy?” His voice rose slightly as he heard what she was saying. It sounded absolutely nuts, ridiculous. How could see even think that, but the look on her face caused him to pause before he continued. “Aria, if you know what’s going to happen in the future, then why? There’s no point if we are going to die.”

            “Because at least we’d have each other, even if it’s just for right now” Aria sighed as she looked away. She knew he was going to over react, it was what he did. She felt close to tears. “Please, I don’t know what else to say to make you believe me. Severus, I love you more then anything. I want to be with you before time runs out”

            “What do you mean?” He paused as he watched the tears run down her face. He touched her face. He was suddenly feeling bad about calling her crazy. She was very sane. “You’re serious aren’t you?”

            “Yes” Aria looked away with her eyes, because he was holding her face so she was looking up at him, “but if you don’t want to, I totally understand.”

            “No, I want to” He grabbed her by the wrist and started pulling her into the castle. She struggled against his grasp.

            “What are you doing?” She asked as she tried to pull away from him, but couldn’t. He was practically dragging her along. “Where are we going?”

            “To Dumbledore’s office, he can do it, he can marry us and it’ll still be legal” Severus didn’t bother to look at her as he continued to drag her along. She looked around her rather nervously; he must have sensed it because he stopped causing her to crash into him. She watched as he turned to her. “Its after midnight if you haven’t noticed, dance is over and Dumbledore is back in his office, no one will find out”

            Aria didn’t respond as he began to pull her along again. She kept pace him, this time though he was holding her hand, not by her wrist. She had to admit that holding his hand so freely was amazing, but she was still afraid someone might see. She looked around suddenly remembering that it wasn’t Christmas Eve anymore. She stopped suddenly, almost getting jerked forward when he realized that she had stopped.

            “Do you know, it’s Christmas” Aria spoke softly. She watched him now realizing they were at the stone statues that lead to Dumbledore’s office. She touched his face with her finger tips before leaning in to kiss him. When she pulled back she smiled. “Merry Christmas, Severus”

            He didn’t respond but he kissed her again gently before he gave the statues the password, they let them up but kept muttering about how early it was and that this was crazy that so many people were still up. She stood close to Severus at the stairs moved up. He had put his arm around her. She looked at him as he shifted to loosen his tie and unbutton the top button of his shirt. He moved his arm from her so that he could roll up his sleeves, he didn’t need to worry about his coat, it was still around Aria’s shoulders. He knocked on Dumbledore’s office door and was granted entrance.

            “Ahh, Severus, Miss. Black” Dumbledore smiled from behind his desk. “What can I do for you two?”

            “We want to go married” Aria spoke up softly. Dumbledore looked rather surprised for once. It was hard to make him surprised. “Please”

            “Why should I allow this?” Dumbledore stood from his desk making his way to stand in front of the two of them. His eyes moved back and forth between the two of them before his eyes wondered back to Aria. “Miss. Black?”

            “Life is too short” Aria looked up at Dumbledore with a serious look on her face. “I love him and want to be with him before time runs out”

            “Aria, are you alright?” Dumbledore asked her watching as her face paled. Severus moved closer to her as she swayed. She leaned against him.

            “Yeah, I’m fine, just tired, please Professor” Aria looked at him from her place in Snape’s arms.

            “Albus, I don’t ask much from you” Severus spoke softly. The first time he spoke since they entered the room. “But we both want this. Please”

            “It takes a lot for you to say please” Dumbledore sighed softly. Then after a few minutes, he smiled. “Very well”

            “Thank you” Aria smiled back at him.

            Dumbledore nodded as he started to go through the ceremony. It was quite beautiful and it didn’t take long. Less then an hour later they were officially declared husband and wife. Severus turned to look at her touch her face gently. He leaned down and kissed her softly on the lips. They turned back to Dumbledore and Aria hugged him tightly thanking him. Severus shook his hand before they left the room. Snape led her back to his private quarters. She got into his room and pulled off his shoes before climbing into his bed. The moment her head hit the pillow she fell asleep. She didn’t even notice him climb into bed next to her.