Chapter 1

"Damn", she muttered to herself as she climbed out of the hole from the Gryffindor common room. She glanced at her watch and knew she was going to be late for Potions. She was always late for potions, which always caused her to get points deducted from her house. Her friends always shrugged it off, but she was getting tired of being the biggest reason Gryffindor lost so many points and it was because of the way Professor Snape treated her. He treated her poorly, even worse then the way he treated her friend Harry Potter. It was all  because her last name was Black. She never knew the story between her father and Professor Snape, because shortly after she was born her father was accused of murdering twelve muggles and sent to Azkaban, but one day she intended to find out what it was. She intended to know why the Potion's Master hated her so much. She hadn't done anything to deserve it. The first time she lashed out at him, was after a year of him treated her poorly, like trash, and she had gotten fed up with it.

She pulled her bag over her should as she adjusted the tie she wore loosely around her neck. The white collared shirt, that was a required part of the dress code was unbuttoned enough to show a hint of cleavage, a fact that no one seemed to mind except for her potion's professor. Her knee length skirt and her long black robes, which were both also required, fluttered against her legs as she ran down into the dungeons. Her military style boots made loud noises as they hit the concrete floor in the dungeons. Her long dark hair, which hung in a braid, swung back and fourth behind her as she ran faster. Despite her best efforts to make it on time she was still late. She let out a deep, heavy sigh as she lowered her bag to the floor and sat slowly. Professor Snape's back was to her, but she knew that he could hear her coming in. She sighed as she knew what was going to happen. It was the same old routine and it was about to start now.

"Miss. Black" his tone had never changed in the six years she had known him so she had learned not to cringe at the coldness in his tone, even though it was colder towards her then other students. She frowned as she sunk into her chair. Here came those words again. She knew by heart, his speech for her being late. Actually it was not a speech, it was three little words and here they were right on cue. "You're late, again"

"Very astute, Professor" She replied sarcastically. The Slytherins snickered at her, knowing this was going to be a full out battle between the two of them. It usually was when they got into an argument. The Gryffindors, knowing how this was going to end, just sighed, they were going to lose lots of points, again.

"Aria" Hermione warned her with a hiss, but everyone knew that she wasn't going to stop. Professor Snape and Aria Black's arguments are legendary among the students and staff of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"What punishment should i give you today?" The professor spoke as he paced the front of the room. The rest of the class was completely silence. This was nothing new for them, but no one, not even the slytherins dare interrupt for fear that their head of house might decide to punish them as well as the Gryffindors.

"I don't know,maybe we can start with the usual, lose of 50 points, then I'll say 'insert witty comment here', then you'll take more points away, maybe I'll loose up to 150 this time, " Aria shrugged her shoulders. She had gotten used to him being so mean to her because of who her father is. "Then i'll continue to be a smart ass, you'll give me detention for my mouth, as you so eloquently put it, you'll tell me it'll be with Professor McGonagall because you can't stand to see me more then necessary, so lets get it over with. Instead of giving me one day detention, why not give me a week?"

"What are you doing?" Ron Weasley leaned his head over from the table behind Hermione and Aria. Aria ignored him as she stared at Professor Snape. He seemed to be slightly confused, though the only way one might have known is that he stopped pacing the floor to look at her.