chapter 5

Aria woke up feeling a sense of dread. She knew that breaking up with Neville was the best thing to do, especially since she knew he was in love with someone else, and that she had her own feelings to sort out. She got dressed in her normally clothes for school and made her way down to the common room. It was early, most kids were still sleeping, but Neville sat near the fireplace looking as if he was contemplating something. She wondered if he was also considering breaking up with her. That would be would be weird if that were so, but that would be good too, because it would make it far less awkward for the both of them. She sighed softly and coughed to let him know that she was there. He looked up at her and smiled, but he didn't seem quite right.

    "Neville?" Aria spoke his name as she sat down next to him. She didn't touch him and he didn't move to touch her, which was unusually, he always held her hand or put his arm around her. "Can we talk?"

    "I think that's a good idea" He smiled sadly at him. She looked up at him from behind her long hair.

    "Let me say, I do like you very much, but you know how it goes. I am a sorry" Aria looked away. "I know you are in love with someone else and I think I might be falling in love with someone else my self"

    "I understand" Neville smiled softly. His tone was not sour, or angry, he had no contempt what so ever. She knew he had probably been thinking the same thing.

    "You do?" Aria was a bit surprised. She figured he might try to fight for her, but then again she knew he was already in love with Luna. She was happy for them, maybe he would have the courage to ask her out, once their relationship was over. "I mean can we still be friends?"

    "Of course, I want to be friends with you, no matter what" Neville smiled before he hugged her quickly. She watched him skip happily up the stairs to the boys dormitory. He was going to get dressed she knew. It was almost breakfast time.

    Aria wrapped her robe around her as she went down towards the great hall. She was in a wonderful mood despite having just broken up with Neville. She went to the great hall, where Harry, Ron and Hermione were already sitting down talking. She smiled at them as she made her way over. She sat down next to Harry, earning her a glare from Ginny who was sitting on his other side. She shrugged at Ginny while Harry gave her a sympathetic look. She sighed as she watched Neville walk in the room chatting with Luna. He looked ecstatic.

    "What's up with Neville and Luna?" Harry asked looking at Aria.

    "We broke up this  morning" Aria frowned, she wasn't upset at the fact that she and Neville broke up nor that he was already hanging with Luna, she was wondering what Professor Snape might think of it if he found out, when he found out. "He's in love with Luna and I ... have feelings to sort out for someone else"

    "Oh, you've got a crush?" Ron asked as he stuffed some food in his mouth. Food bits flew from his mouth as he continued to speak. "Is it someone we know? Who is it?"

    "Charming, Ronald" Hermione spoke as all three girls wiped food and spit off their faces. "And who she likes is none of our business. Really, you are clueless when it comes to women and their feelings"
    "Thank you" Aria smiled at her. "I am not ready to talk about it and I don't think he'd like it if i did"

    Aria quickly looked at the staff table. She noticed Professor Snape was looking at her and her friends. He seemed to be studying them all, his eyes moving from Harry and Ginny, to Ron, Hermione and then to where Neville and Luna were sitting quietly chatting by themselves. His eyes travelled to her and she saw him raise an eyebrow. She shrugged in response, and he scowled before engaging himself in a conversation with Professor Dumbledore. She frowned as she looked back at her friends. They were looking at her, waiting to see if she might accidently spill her guts. She looked at her watch.

    "Oh look, what do you know, its time for Defense Against the Dark Arts" She stood up and grabbed her bag. "I don't want to be late"

    "No of course not, cause when have you ever cared about being on time to Snape's classes?" Harry asked sarcastically. He shook his head, and continued to eat.

    Aria left the great hall quickly and went to the classroom on the third floor. She practically sprinted then. She opened the door as she tried to catch her breath, she realized she was so early that she was the only one there. She frowned as she stepped into the room and put her stuff down at the table where she sat with Harry. She wondered around the room unsure of why it looked so scary at night but perfectly normal during the day. She heard footsteps behind her and she turned to look.. Professor Snape had come into the classroom, probably followed her from the great hall.

    "Professor" Aria decided not to start off on the wrong foot today. "How... how are you?"

    "Fine, Miss Black" His tone was back to its normal coldness, as if nothing had happened last night. "I'm informing you now, that the rest of your detentions have been cancelled"

    "Done with me already?" She smirked. "I knew you couldn't last a week with me, I should have known better"

    "Its not my choice" Professor Snape snapped at her. "Professor Dumbledore has me running an errand and its going to take a few days, if i had my choice, i'd rather be here in detention with you, trust me on this one"

    "why should i trust you?"

    "Because I may have a way to save everyone, but until then, i need to be trusted completely. Despite what you might think I do want to protect my students and right now, you are big on the Dark Lord's list"

    "Why?"

    "I don't know" Profesor Snape turned away from her, going to back to his normal stance of no emotion, no nothing, not that she would call what he was doing before was any kind of emotion, but it was definitely different from normal. "Pleas have a seat, we will continue our conversation another day, Aria"

    "Yes, sir" Aria took her seat just as Harry came in, behind him was Ron and Hermoine. Shortly after that everyone else began to file in. She looked down at her hands, before looking at Harry.

    Harry sat down next to her and gave her a look. She wondered if he heard her conversation with Snape. She looked at him, Harry looked like he wanted to say something, but she was saved as Professor Snape started his lecture. She let out a relieved breath and gave Professor Snape a weak smile. He did not return it, but she didn't expect him to. She just wanted him to know that she had been grateful for his interception before things got awkward. She also wanted to know if he cared for her. His attitude had changed a bit since they kissed for the second time yesterday. So she didn't know what was going on. He was nice to her one minute then the next he was angry, cold and condescending to her. She should just tell him to leave her alone and get over it, but she didn't know if she could do it. If she could tell him to go away to leave her alone. She rested her head in her hands, what was she going to do?