Chapter Three

Though I knew that I should be focused on saving Augun from the enemy, my mind seemed to wander elsewhere. I wanted approval from Birger, I wanted his friendship. My insides felt twisted every time we looked at each other and our days of planning to rescue his best friend had been put together all for naught, We never met, we never spoke, and we never did anything in spite of one another. That was our relationship for the next couple of days as I prepared a cavalry of men to accompany me up the mountain to meet the enemy clan and arrange for an agreement. If things took a turn for the worse, we could fight them if we had to.

I doubted Birger would come. I could not muster up the courage to ask him since our last "conversation"  and our only form of communication were gazes shot at each other from across the dining table or prolonged looks when we passed in the street or anywhere else, for that matter. Though we never spoke, I always knew what he was saying, but I was careful enough to hide my feelings. I had learned from Augun that it was best to keep your face as stone in the presence of an enemy you were once close to. I would get that man back even if I lost my life to do so. Birger's plan of us "falling in love" had already been pushed to the side and out of my head. It was no longer useful now that Augun had practically gone mad and was gone from the clan and Birger could not even touch me without acting as if I had offended him.

What his new behavior was, I did not know. I had heard from my father when I was young that lads were unkind toward lasses if they fancied them, but I did not think this was the same kind of unkind as my father had mentioned. This sort was distant, like a resentment that rested in your heart that you wanted to extinguish, but couldn't.

If Birger could not get rid of his hate toward me, then we could no longer work together. He was either with me or against me, and if he was against me, he was in my way.

A/N: Hey guys! Thanks for being patient with me! I made this chapter a little longer for you, so I hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to vote and comment. Thank you again and goodbyeeeee!