Chapter Fourteen

"There is your lovely bride to be!", mocked Elga.

"How many times have you told her to wash up?", asked Elga, this time smirking bluntly.

"I love you dearly Elga, but if you talk to my to be wife in that manner one more time you will become my slave!", barked Augun.

"So nothing is going to change.", retorted Elga as she threw her hands up in the air.

The men around her laughed as I made my way down the stairs, my shoes clacking on the creaky wood.

I walked across the room and sat down next to Augun in a throne, that I had guessed would be for his wife.

"Augun, I have never asked you your age. I am merely seventeen years of age now, but how many years of age are you?", I asked as I leaned over to hear his reply.

"I am nineteen years of age.", he replied.

"Why, so young for a Jarl.", I exclaimed. He smiled at my awe, but the smile quickly retreated back to a hard, daring look.

"My father died. He was Jarl until I was fifteen years of age, and then he was killed by our enemie's Jarl. They wanted to be the most threatening Vikings of all the land, and we had that place held for us. For we were fiercest as they came.", he rubbed his eyes as he said this, his eyes puffy and red as if he had been crying.

I felt a pang of sympathy for him, and a sliver of remorse for being so harsh towards him when he was so kind towards me. He had never kissed me because I had begged him not to. For that had only happened once, and he had regretted it ever since.

"I am sorry. I should not have asked.", I whimpered quietly.

He put his hand to mine and said,"Do not apologize, for you have done nothing wrong."

"Since when have you had a kind and caring demeanor?", I snickered.

He chuckled at that and then patted my hand. As he arose from his chair he said, "Since always. You have just been too stubborn and tough to recognize it."

"But on the boat! You, you hit me and pushed me, and kissed me!", I barked, sounding harsher than I would have liked.

"To teach you. You are stubborn enough as it is, but you need to learn my ways. You were not taking them through words so I had to show them to you through actions.", he said calmly.

I looked into his eyes, my raging stare meeting his calm one. "My future wife, everybody!", he yelled while pulling me up from my chair by my wrist.

The crowd cheered and the music began. He let go of my wrist and grasped my shoulder. "I wish you the best of luck,", he whispered."my dear", he mocked, smiling wryly at me as I did to him.

"Do not call me that!", I snapped. "I have a name, which you surprisingly had knowledge of.", I said.

"Feisty, even at such a joyous event.", he hissed.

"It is not joyous when I am going to be wed to a man that I would not like to be wed to.", I explained as I pointed an accusing finger at him.

"Go and dance!", I snapped.

"Enjoy yourself while you can, my dear Lagertha. Enjoy yourself while you can", he whispered to himself.

A/N: Don't forget to vote and comment! Bye! (P.S., longer chapters in the next update. Probably starting at chapter seventeen.)