Chapter Twenty-One: the world is a cruel place

The dark figures crossed eachother, back and fourth across the large lawn. Even from inside I could hear the low growling coming from the circling wolves. They were plotting, scheming, coming up with a plan to attack us. The worst part was that Zero was out there with them. Vincent, Sam, Darius, Melissa and Damien were all thinking the same thing; Zero was going to try and help his brothers kill me...

 I didn't believe that for one second. He was up to something, but killing me wasn't it. Zero was better then that, even in his true form, he had to have some sense of control.

 “You're standing too close to the window, darling.” Melissa's soprano voice urged from behind me. I ignored her. Inching slightly forward towards the window.

 “Kimberly, get back.” Damien demanded. I ignored him too. That is until he took hold of my arm and yanked me away from the window.

 “You need to get her out of here.” Vincent said behind us.

 “He's right. We'll fight them off, you two need to go.” Sam agreed.

 I turned towards them now. Damien was nodding in agreement. I had been ignoring them for the past 20 minutes as they had been talking and watching me stare out the window.

 “We don't have to go anywhere. Zero isn't going to hurt me.” I told them confidently.

 Damien let out a frustrated sound.

 “You've never been around a werewolf. You don't know anything about what you're trying to talk about.” I glared at him, he glared back as he continued, puffing out his chest dominately. “He will try to kill you. He's not himself.”

 “How are you so sure about that?” I protested. I just couldn't even imagine Zero being that way. There was silence that followed my question. But it wasn't an unsure silence, it wasn't a hesitation that maybe he was wrong. It was an unsettling silence, a debating one on wheither or not to tell me something. Damien's blue eyes hardened.

 “He tried to kill me before.”

 My body froze for a second. Damien knew first hand what Zero was like in his true form. I tilted my head now.

 “Were you taunting him?” I asked quietly.

 “Kim!” Damien let out alarmed by my reaction. He obviously hadn't been expecting me to accuse him of causing the attack.

 “Well, Damien, it is you we're talking about. You two don't ever get along.”

 “It was different. Damien was trying to calm Zero down, he was protecting Zoě--” Vincent began.

 “Zero tried attacking Zoě?” My voice squeaked out. Now that caught my attention.

 Vincent nodded now. I stared at him, eyes widening in horror. If he tried to attack Zoě....

 “Look!” Darius abruptly flashed towards the window, the others did as well.

 “Shit!” Damien snarled.

 There were no passing shadows anymore. There was no movement at all. Then everyone's attention in the room whipped towards the ceiling, all except mine I had no idea what had caught there attention. As I turned my eyes up I felt multiple gusts of wind pass me. I didn't even have a chance to process what happened before I heard barking and growling. Glass shattered from above me.

 My eyes flickered around the empty room. Why the heck would they leave me alone?! I was making my way towards the stairs when the sound from behind me made me turn around. I gasped at the blind wolf and turned around, running down the hall. Wolf was instantly at my heels. I stumbled into the room at the end of the hall, trying to slam the door behind me.