Chapter Twelve: play with me

I woke up to the room not being as dark as when it was when I had fallen asleep. Actually, I woke up in a completely different bed, in a completely different room. I frowned, groggily moving my eyes over to the nearby window. Just peaking at me through a crack from the dark curtain was a dim orange glow. My eyes then found a digital clock across the room. Well what do you know, it was 10 am instead of pm.

Finally I turned to Zero, to see if he was going to wake up anytime soon. But to my surprise his silhouette wasn't Zero's. I leaned closer, forcing my eyes to adjust to whoever was in the bed next to me. I breathed out a gasp.

“Damien...”

His eyes snapped open at the sound of his name. I slapped my hand over my mouth, muffling my own surprised scream. The way my heart pounded against my chest reminded me of a drum-roll. His eyes wandered from my face down to my chest, up to my neck then back to my eyes again. The pattern of those eye movements was beginning to make sense to me. He's done that to me a lot since we first met, and he always did it when my heart began to beat fast. He flinched when our eyes did meet.

“I didn't ask him to kiss me.” I suddenly felt the need to explain. Then I really felt like hiding under the blankets, why did I say that? It's not like he cared. It's not like I actually did owe him any sort of explanation. His facial expression didn't change. He just looked at me with those eyes. Those beautiful sharp blue eyes.

“You...really have to stop looking at me like that...” I ducked my head, trying to escape his gaze. His jaw ticked from the way he clenched it.

“You didn't have to say anything. Your eyes said it all.” He finally spoke, his voice seemed deeper and darker then usual. He was still upset. It made no sense to me why he was being like this. I subconsciously looked away from him. He grunted out a humorless laugh when I did.

“He took me off guard. We were just talking--” I continued to try and explain as I stared at my hands now.

“About how beautiful you are.” He interrupted me. This made me look back at him again. I knew him better then that. I could hear the bitter tone in his voice, the mocking way he said it. He wasn't calling me beautiful, he was simply just making fun of Zero.

“Why do you--” I began, anger filtering my voice now. He moved so fast I stopped myself from saying anything else. I was now beneath him. His arms blocking me from going anywhere as he hovered over me.

“I don't know why I do what I do, Kim. All I know is that you and me were born to hate eachother.” He leaned a bit closer as he spoke. I backed myself further against the pillows behind me. Our eyes locked again.

“How can you be so sure of that?” I asked. Did I just ask that? I did. I wasn't trying to imply the exact opposite but he obviously took it that way. He was smirking now.

“You're the Princess. That little detail has made everything come together for me...”

I frowned deeply at him. Everything was going to change. I had thought that. I had known what was coming. The way he's acting has changed, not by much but by enough to notice a difference.

“What does my status have to do with the way we interact?”

He shook his head. His face got closer to mine as he did this.

“It has everything to do with it. But I'm not going to explain this to you now, I'm not ready for you to understand. When I do tell you though, it'll all come together for you as well. All the pieces will fit and you'll understand this entire conversation when I decide the time is right.”