Chapter Twenty-Five: hide and seek

Yes, finally another update! Make sure you guys read the authors note at the end please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I winced, grabbing onto Zero's fur tighter. His ears were back further than I've ever seen them, his muscles contracted beneath me, his body was low to the ground as he dodged his way through the trees. As soon as Zero had heard the howling from around us he knew we had ran straight into a trap. He only had a split second to make the decision to take off running. As soon as he did I could hear them pursue us and Venom let out a bark of laughter.

We didnt get a chance to get too far before Zero was blind sided by one of his brothers. It was like he appeared out of thin air. We both tumbled to the side a few feet. By the time we stopped, I landed beneath Zero, pinned between his big wolf form and the damp ground. I sucked in a deep breath, trying not to let out a sound of pain. As I pushed to get him off of me, he struggled to his feet.

He turned around towards me when we both steadied ourselves, his golden eyes flickered to moss green momentarily. He was about to change forms but we both heard the padding of feet in the distance and turned to the sound just as Vash came crashing into Zero. How I managed to get out of their way was a miracle.

“Stop!” I shouted when Vash's jaws clamped down on Zero's throat and a whimper escaped him. I ran towards them, not that I could really do anything about what was happening but that was my first instinct. It was in mid-stride that I felt a heavy, sharp blow to the back of my head. I swooned to the side and turned around. My head was swimming and I felt disoriented but I wasn't going to let this happen without a fight.

Standing there with a satisfied smile was one of Zero's brothers, holding a wooden object in his hand. A wooden object that he had just hit me with. Jeez, these guys were nicer in their werewolf forms. I've been punched, slapped, hair has been pulled, ribs have nearly been broken, bruises have formed, cuts have been carved but never have I been hit with a blunt object before.

I moved, to attack him, to run from him, to do something, anything, but he was at an advantage. The last thing I saw was the object being whipped through the air towards me. My mouth opened to form a scream. As far as I know, my scream wasn't even audible. This was pain on a whole new level....

~~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“What was that?”

“Did you hear that?”

Vincent and Sam both reacted at the same time, turning away from giving me shit about talking in my sleep. But the sound had caught my attention too. That scream was familiar. That scream made me feel angry and sick and sad all at once.

“Venom's scent, he's on the move again.” Vincent suddenly said, his chest swelling. He was getting in protective mode, and so was I.

There was a distant howling now. It was familiar as well. But Zero wasn't just howling to be the obnoxious mut that he his, this howl was different. I've heard him howl like that only once before, when Zoě died. He was crying. Vincent and Sam turned to me, eyes wide. Did I really fucking need to be the one to say it? They knew better. I kept my face expressionless. The last thing I needed was for them to see me panic.

“Don't just stare at me!” I snapped.

They both nodded, finally turning back around and taking off running. Honestly, I don't know what they'd do without me. I followed behind them. The sudden silence that followed Zero's cry made my stomach twist.