Chapter 16

16

AN: Still looking for suggestions for one-shots! Thank you for reading, reviewing, favoriteing and following!

Jack didn't hear the growling wolf in time to get out of the way. It jumped knocking his staff out of his hand and pinning him to the ground. The wolf snarled and tried to bite Jack, but he had a firm hold on the wolf's muzzle. Jack tried to push the wolf away, but it was too heavy for him to push in his own. He could easily push him off if he unbalanced the wolf.

Jack brought his feet up pushing on the wolf's belly. It growled and snapped at his face. Jack pushed the wolf's head to one side along with his back end. The Wolf rolled off him and Jack stood up. "Wind, staff please!" Jack said nervously. The Wind grew strong and Jack's staff landed in his outstretched hand. The wolf's paw steps thundered towards him. Jack made shards of sharps ice and sent them flying at the wolf with the wind. The nightmare wolf whimpered and was gone with the wind.

Jack turned his attention to any new threats coming his way. A hissing sound caught his attention. Jack shivered. He hates snakes. Jack froze the ground where he heard the hissing. Ice spikes shot out of the ground skewering the horrid thing.

"Watch where you're freezing!" Captain America shouted.

"Sorry!" Jack yelled back. He tapped his staff on the ground sending echowaves out around him.

The Avengers were fighting in a circular formation, while The Guardians and Loki where spread out each fighting a different nightmare animal. Jack spotted Pitch standing at the edge of the small clearing they were in, watching the fight.

Jack jumped into the wind. It carried him at breakneck speed towards Pitch as his vision began to fade.

"Well looks li-." Pitch didn't finish his sentence. Jacks feet connected with his jaw.

"What's up Doc?" Jack laughed as Pitch picked himself off the ground. "I should start talking in quotes! That would be funny!"

"That would be horrible." Pitch grumbled.

"Would you say it's you worst nightmare?" Jack asked innocently. Nightmares charged at him. Their angry whinnies alerted him to their advance. Jack leaped into the herd landing on an angry mare's back. "Yeehaw!"

The horse tried to throw the winter spirit off. Her other herd members tried to help. They sprang at Jack trying to knock him off, but Jack would duck and dodge their attacks. The other mares would fly over Jacks head and crash into one another once they landed, turning back to nightmare sand. Jack laughed. He put his hand on the mare's neck freezing it solid. He leaped off and a mare smashed into where he had been sitting.

The remaining nightmares gathered in one spot. Jack rolled his eyes and smirked hearing there hooves stomping. He shot ice at them, but mid strike pain exploded just above his hip. Jack hissed. His hand move to find the hilt of a throwing knife. He froze the area around the knife enough that he wouldn't feel it when he removed the knife. Jack's fingers wrapped gently around the hilt trying not to move the knife any direction, but out. Jack slowly pulled the knife out, threw it on the ground and froze the hole over so no more blood could escape. He would have to get it treated properly later. Footsteps came towards him, Jack tensed for another fight. The slightest movement hurt, but Jack ignored the pain.

"Jack!" Loki shouted. Something in his brother's voice made him move. He jumped to the left, just avoiding a sharp object that whistled by his face. Jack winced and grabbed his side. His wound ached. "Are you okay?" Loki asked.

"Yes, just a scratch. Thanks for the warning." Jack said removing his hand.

"Your definition of 'just a scratch' and mine are very different." Loki said. "Let me see."