Natures Force IX

Chapter IX

Anna

As soon as we left the room someone tied my hands, gagged me and placed a sack over my head, blocking my view. Why I had no idea, I don't know where we are going or who they work for. I guess this is one way of finding out. Even if I could run or scream I doubt that anyone will help me. No-one would mess with an army of soldiers for some unknown girl, who for all they know could be a criminal. Not that anyone would be able to tell I'm a girl.

"...we'll be at the border soon..."

"...no time to stop were gonna have to ride through the night..."

"...now that I have the girl, she can't get away again..."

Vince didn't have any new information either about what they want with me or where we're going. Once we got outside someone lifted me on a horse and tied my hands to the saddle. Bye bye Moonbeam, all I can hope is that Will or even John take her when they leave.

"Should we burn it boss?" one of the men asked talking next to me, so I guess Vince was serious when he said that he's not letting go of me again. 

"You know what Bruce I'm in a good mood, leave it. If those two knows what's good for them they won't follow us, but if they do it will be the last thing they do. Besides she's the one we have to worry about".

We traveled for a while but it was dark when we left Harper so we stopped and made camp. Not me obviously, I was dragged off the horse, the sack removed, but still bound and dumped on the grass close to Vince's feet. He was barking out orders and everyone was jumping to comply.

There were several campfires and some of the men that took off to hunt returned with a couple of hares. Other were coming back with more wood and water. They operated like a well-oiled-machine. Vince on the other hand was keeping his beady little eyes on me.

If only John and Will were here. In the short amount of time we were together we became close, I trusted them a lot and I was so glad that they were okay. I know I am on my own now because they really have no reason to look for me even if they knew which direction we went in. I couldn't help the tear that slipped down my cheek.

I'm all alone on my way to who-knows-where, tied up and miserable and I have no idea how to get out of this situation. That night I went to sleep tied to Vince after having some water and a piece of dried meat. Just how did I end up like this in a week?.

The camp woke up early the next morning before dawn we were on the horses, on our way.

"...the king has lost his mind..."

"...this girl will bring nothing but trouble..."

"...the seer is playing him for a fool..."

Finally I was getting something from the soldiers, especially Vince and Bruce, who I learned were second-in-command. The last two thoughts belong to Bruce who seem to know a lot more about what's going on. I was wasting my time trying to get anything from Vince, but that doesn't make any sense.

 Wouldn't the commander know more about the mission?. Who is Bruce and why does he know more than Vince and why wasn't he at the orphanage the first time. He only met up with Vince and the men in Harper. 

"Where are you taking me and why have you been looking for me?" I might as well get answers the old-fashioned way."What do you want from me?.

"Oh the little girl can talk, I was beginning to wonder" I could feel Vince's chest move when he spoke. "You'll find out soon enough. Don't want to ruin the surprise". I don't know why, but I had a feeling I wasn't gonna like the surprise.

I turn towards Bruce hoping he'll let something more slip and I wasn't disappointed.

"...king Malcolm doesn't want her to know yet..."

"...if her uncle kept his mouth shut..."

I was so amazed that I got the king's name that I almost didn't get the last part. Did he say uncle. 

"Did you erm, erm..." I was about to asked about the fact that I had an uncle or that they seem to think so, but I couldn't let them know what I found out and especially not how I found out. They were all looking at me expectantly, waiting when all I could think of was "Did you think we could stop, I need to use the...the..." Hoping they get the gist of what I want without using the words in front of about thirty strange men.

"Alright boys, I think its time for a lunch break. There'll be no more stopping until tonight". The last part was directed at me. He then got off and before lifting me off his horse got a piece of rope from his saddle and tied it to my ankle.

"I'm gonna give you some privacy girly, don't make me regret it. If you run and I have to catch you I'm not gonna be happy you don't want to see me not happy girly". I just nodded to scared to even think of running away. Its wide open and I don't have fire that I could surround them with to keep them from following me. Even my own power of knocking them unconscious like the first time has deserted me, I've tried. 

Twenty minutes later we were back on the road galloping well into the night. That was the routine for the next couple of days. Then on the third day we came across a river that had a bridge, with three guards, who waved us through. The men crossed single file with Vince riding in front. I guess one way or another I'll find out what's going on. 

"Where are we?" We rode on for another couple of miles and I remember them saying something about a king, but we were standing in courtyard. A couple of houses surrounded by a wall, no castle in sight.

"Anderson, where king Malcolm reigns" Sure it meant nothing to me and looking around me I knew why no-one has heard of Anderson or king Malcolm. I wasn't to sure this was a kingdom and that Malcolm was a king. What have I gotten myself into?. Vince pushed me towards the biggest house out of the lot and said "Get moving girly, I don't have all day. The king has been waiting to meet you". The last bit he chuckled as if to say how could a king wait to meet you. 

I looked down and realized that I was still wearing the clothes I got from Will and was dirty because the last three days on the road I was sleeping on the dirt next to Vince and I didn't have any spare clothes to change into.

I was led through a intricate hallway filled with people who all seem to be busy, but stopped as soon as we neared them to stare. All with identical expressions, fearful and anxious. What or who has everyone so afraid?