Natures Force III

CHAPTER III

Anna

The unmistakable sound of someone creeping towards me wakes me and I try and concentrate on my breathing so I can pretend to be asleep. As soon as I'm sure that its steady I use my power that extents like tentative fingers around me to pick up on thoughts.

I can't seem to get anything so I try to sneak a peek to see who it was, it turned out to be one of the men of last night, John I think. My curiosity almost got the best of me as I was about to sit up and asked him what he's doing. Luckily reason won out as I haven't had a chance to 'read' the two men from yesterday. This should be the perfect time for just that.

He's still coming towards my camp pausing every couple of minutes to obviously make sure I'm still sleeping. As he gets closer I realize I should close my eyes to keep up the pretense.

I can feel a shadow looming over me and the urge to open my eyes is so strong that I snap them open without meaning to.

"Arghhhhhh!" he starts shouting and as I got startled so I ended up shouting as well. So there we were staring at each other shouting our heads off. That's when his friend, I think his name was Will comes running though the bushes and instantly both of us stop to look at him cause as soon as he cleared the bushes he fell over his own feet because of his hurry. I can't help the giggle that escapes me. I was trying not to be rude, but he's friend wasn't having that problem. His booming laughter I was sure could be heard for miles and its that thought that sobers me up completely.

"Shuuusssh" I know I sound harsh but I need them to be quiet. The amazed look that is on their faces and I can't be sure why, is it because I shushed them or because of my tone.

"What your problem, we're in the middle of nowhere, we don't have to be quiet" John looks at me questioningly.

"You will spook my horse", I'm so surprise at how easy the lie came to me, but grateful nonetheless. Its not like I can say there's a band of men looking for me and I don't want them to find me.

The silence that follows my statement is a uncomfortable so I decide that might be the best time to get on the road. I get up and start to gather my blanket folding it in a half and throw it over Moonbeam. Next is the saddle and I get startled yet again when John helps me lift it onto my horse.

"Thanks" I mumble not wanting or needing his help, the quicker I get on the road and away from them, the better.

That is when the distinctive sound of hooves can be heard clearly this early in the morning. Its just fortunate that the clearing we were in can not be seen from the path. "Shush, don't make a sound" is all I can manage to whisper to the two of them before the first rider can be heard going past. I motion for them to get down as well, I really don't want to push my luck.

I crouch down and try to use my mind so I can figure out if these are the men from the orphanage or just harmless travelers, but what are the odds.

Just as I was beginning to think that the forest was somehow blocking my power, maybe that's why I couldn't get anything from the two guys a couple of meters from me. I can make out three different voices in my head.