Natures Force I

All her life Anna has been an outsider. Left on the steps of an church orphaned as a baby Anna knew that she was never wanted. Not when she was born and definitely not now, now that she has made a total and utter fool of herself by instead of her normal blending into the background quietly she did what she has sworn never to do. Because Anna had a secret and she knew that as soon as the gasps was heard that she no longer had her anonymity as just another face in the crowd.

CHAPTER I

Anna 

My day started as any other day, get up at the crack of dawn, fetch water from the well and then start breakfast for the rest of the children and the monks from the adjacent seminary. As the eldest in the orphanage I had to help take care of the little ones. I just had my eighteenth birthday two days ago and had every intention to stay on at the orphanage I wanted to be a novice, I wanted to be a nun.   

The commotion in the hall got my attention as it did every single person within earshot. Eight men  were overturning every piece of furniture they can get their hands on. One was off to the side yelling "Where is she, tell me where she is" over and over again. Clearly he was in charge of this upheaval.

Sister Abigail was desperately trying to reason with them, but to no avail. The men continued with their destruction and then without meaning to I did what I promised Father Francis I would not do. I used my power. 

Since I was five I knew I was different. Not your run of the mill purple eyes different, which I was, but I could read minds. Not only that but I had the power to move things, objects with my mind as well. Small things like a pitcher of water or close doors by just thinking of it. Father Francis was the only one in the parish that knew and he has sworn me to secrecy. "Don't let anyone know what you can do Anna. Not even the sisters they will not understand. You have to swear Anna, swear on this Bible that you will not tell anyone what you can do and you have to swear Anna that you will never do it again". Scared little five-year-old Anna swore that she would not tell and she would never use her powers and her and Father Francis never spoke of it again.

I closed my eyes and pictured the man yelling in my mind's eye. Then I concentrated as hard as I could because this was the first time in thirteen years I have tried to use my abilities. I imagine a swift wind knocking him off the table he was standing on. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned because instead of knocking him off the table, I inadvertently pushed the table as well and he landed a couple of yards further on the floor with the table crashing into him.

A hush fell over the hall then everyone seemed to spring into action. The men rushed over to their comrade and the monks and nuns fell to their knees. The only people rooted to their spots was me and Father Francis. That's when I sprang into action. I couldn't let these men hurt anyone. Clearly they were looking for someone and were not listening to reason. I know that I have to help. Help the only family I have ever known. 

Slowly I make my way over to the fallen man as to not attract any attention. I have to be close to be able to read one of the men's mind. The men were hunched over trying to wake him and all I got was worried voices calling "Vince,  Vince wake up!". That is when I realize that my attempt was point-less as everyone of the men had a singular thought which was their leader. Not only that, they were not only thinking it their were shouting it as well.

That is when one of the men turned and caught me close by. Now I have only ever dealt with the monks at meal times serving their meals and then of course Father Francis, other than that I have never seen any other men. I still had my shawl around my head and shoulders so there was no way for the man to tell who I was and what I look like. He lunged at me and that seem to snap me into action. I turn and tried to run, but he got a hold of my ankle and I came crashing down onto the cold, hard cobbled floor.

That's when all seven other pairs of eyes turn to look at the two of us. Just then I realize that I made a mistake in getting so close because now the man was standing over me waiting for me to get up or at least look up. "Well, well, well what do we have here?". The unconscious man now forgotten as all of them came to stand over me. I slowly came to my feet making sure to keep my head down. The sisters were always warning us about the danger of strangers. Especially the girls.

Everyone else was holding their breaths realizing what was happening. They are pacifists and I knew without a doubt that I would not get any real help from them. I was going to have to help myself. Then before I could make a move to stop him my attacker lifted the shawl off my head exposing my face. The tension intensifies as the men stare at my face and then start jeering and slapping each other on the back as if they won a prize. I close my eyes and extend my hands and with as much force as I could muster push at them. The audible gasps are so loud that I open my eyes and all eight men were laying on the ground knocked out.

Without trying to I get overwhelmed with thoughts.

"...what is happening...?".

"...lord save us...".

"...a devil in our midst...".

The expression on Father Francis' face of disappointment and regret quiets the voices. That's when I know what Father Francis tried to tell me thirteen years ago. The distrust and open hostility on everyone's faces breaks my heart, but I know as soon as I explained that I was only saving us from these men that my family, as they were to me, will see me as the same old Anna. The one who reads the kids scripture at night at bed-time and the same one that helps in the infirmary and lights all the candles as soon as the sun sets. The same one that sounded the alarm when last year 75-year-old sister Beatrice knocked over a candle and started a fire.

They all gave me a wide berth and Father Francis comes over takes me by the hand and leads me to his office. "Please Father I did not mean to do it", I plead as soon as he closes the door. "Anna dear its out of my hands. You'll have to leave soon, before they wake up".  I have to make Father Francis see sense, where will I go, what will I do. I have only ever know the orphanage. I can't leave. "Father, I have nowhere else to go. This is my home, let me hide until these men leave. Please Father Francis". I was begging at this point.

A timid knock sounds at the door and mother superior, steps in. "Father", she nods at Father Francis and avoids looking at me. I don't know if I should leave and give them their privacy or if I should stay and talk to Father Francis. As neither Father Francis or mother superior asks me to leave I decide to stay. Father Francis will help he always has. He will think of a plan to get rid of these men and life will get back to normal.

"This thing has to leave, I've told you to get rid of her, but you didn't listen. She is an abomination, against God's rules. Look at the trouble she caused". I fall to my knees not believing my ears. Mother superior wanted me gone and for some time it seems. Now that she is done talking I remember that mother superior has always avoided me even to the point of being rude. I did not notice before because I was so busy and made excuses, she must have a lot on her mind, perhaps she did not hear. With that she leaves and I turn to Father Francis with tears in my eyes. "She doesn't like me does she" and I follow that with, "She wants me to leave?".

"Yes" is all he says and comes over and for the second time that day Father Francis takes me by the hand  "Anna, I don't know what else to do, you have to leave. These men came here looking for you. They will not leave without you here". Then with a sense of urgency he pulls me out of the office towards my room. "Take a bag, pack some clothes and leave place for two days' worth of food. Then get to the stable I will have Moonbeam saddle. Then ride north until the river, then east. There seek out Father Thomas at the next town. He will help you, tell him I send you". By this time I'm in my room and he pushes me gentle towards the drawers that holds my clothes. "Quick Anna there is no time to waste".