Natures Force XXX

Chapter XXX

Anna

I couldn't believe my eyes the soldiers were still kneeling and chanting when John pulled me away. They must have notice the movement because they all got up then and started to follow us still chanting those dreaded words, 'vindicator, harbinger of death'.

"Anna we have to hurry. We have to get away from them". John was urging me to move faster. Why are they following us? What do they want?". We were rushing through the woods, stumbling yet we kept moving forward somehow. "We have to find Claire and Damien, Anna. Can you find out where they are?".

I could hear John and I could understand what he was saying, but I was having trouble just to remember to put one foot in front of the other. "Anna, snap out of it! We have to find Claire and Damien. We might need their help. We don't know what the soldiers want from us. I doubt we'll be able to do anything".

I looked over my shoulder and even thou we were moving through a densely wooded area, the soldiers had no trouble keeping up and I could see and hear them gaining on us. I could feel the panic setting in when one of them got so close that I could make out his brown eye color. I could feel the fatigue as well. My legs were shaky and my chest burning and all I wanted to do at that moment is sit down and catch my breath."John...I...can't...I have...to...stop". I was panting forcing the words past my scorching throat.

I could see the indecision on John's face, "If we can find a place to hide?...". I nodded quickly, anything that will allow me to stop pushing myself forward I'll do willingly.

"Will you be able to climb a tree? That might be the only way we can get out of this. Did you 'talk' to Claire yet? Do you know where they are?". John was looking at me waiting for an answer and all I could do was shake my head indicating that I'm unable to do either. That I won't be able to climb and that I had no idea where Claire and Damien was.

"What about your power, can you use it? Do you have enough energy Anna? Just one blast should do the trick". We were still moving, but slowing down and I knew that was because John was worried about me.

"I'm never using it again". Even I could hear the finality in my voice. John had a uncertain look on his face like he wasn't sure what to do, but then he looked determined. "I guess then I'll have to use mine then or are you against anyone using their power?.

John stopped and pushed me behind him. He snapped his fingers and a small purple flame sprang to life. "I'm not going to start a fire, it will burn out of control, but I need the soldiers to see the flame so I'm going to need you to run and find a place to hide. As soon as its clear I'll come find you."

I wasn't sure what to do, I didn't want to leave John, but all I wanted was to sit down even if it was just for a minute. So I sat down right behind him. "What are you doing Anna, go and hide". John whisper-yelled at me. "I'm not leaving you alone". I'm not going anywhere without him.

"What good will that do, your not using your power remember". John sneered at me I have never seen him so mad and disappointed. Before I could even say anything the first line of soldiers broke through the tree line.