Chapter 7

Axel's POV

I felt like I was being kept on a leash, but for once I didn't care. I was with my mate, no matter who she was.

When she was asking me about my pack, my wolf was practically leaping inside of me, which was a change to how mad he was at me recently, I figured it was because of rejecting my mate, but I was trying right? I can't help thinking there's something else.

I had been 16 when we were attacked, and well at that time I hadn't found my mate, I had always hoped it was Avery, and I was sure she wanted that too.

When Avery shifted, we weren't looking out, everyone had been so sure we'd be mates, they all wanted to be there to see the soon to be alpha find his mate.

When she shifted, I tried to be there for her, I saw her and I felt something small, but it was like my wolf was holding me back, like he knew we weren't really mates.

When I saw the pure white of her fur I could barely contain my excitement, white wolves were so rare, I couldn't remember the last time a pack had one of those.

She was enchanting.

I don't know why, but I do remember the heartache in my chest when she saw me there, right next to me, and ran off into the woods.

We left her to go off, saying we'd simply find her in a bit, give her some time with her wolf.

Just as I was getting up to go find her, we heard a scream. I turned and saw a black wolf with it's jaws around Avery's mum.

It all happened so fast.

It was like they were going for her family first. Like they were trying to get rid of her bloodline.

I wish i'd gone after her. But my father made me stay, it wasn't fit for an alpha to leave his pack in their time of need.

I remember collapsing to the ground when I saw my entire pack dead on the floor.

I must have looked dead, but I knew any wolf could have felt my heartbeat.

But they left me.

It all happened so... rehearsed, it was like one of them, the alpha I presumed suddenly realised that there was one person missing, at first I thought they were looking for me.

But then in a flash they all ran into the woods, right in the direction Avery went.

I stayed there for nearly a week, starving and without energy, waiting.

I had hoped she would come back.

We had all agreed to come back to pack land after an attack.

But she never came.

In that moment I knew she wasn't my mate. If my mate had died I would have felt it, and there was no way she could have gotten away.

Skylar reminds me so much of Avery. Her white wolf, even the way she said my name. Her hollow cheekbones, it's like they have the same eyecolour too. An icy blue.

I figured it must just be the traits that come with being a white wolf.

"I never found her body, she must have been ripped up." I sighed, thrumming my fingertips on the car door.

She looked at my hand and suddenly it was like my hand was frozen in place. "You could have just asked." I sighed again, not bothering to attempt to move my hand, "She would never have made it anyway-"

Skylar let out a dark chuckle, cutting me off "What makes you think that?"

Skylar is strange, she is also amazing. I don't think she knows that I've seen the way she looks at me sometimes. It's like she can't believe i'm here, like she doesn't truly think she could have a mate. But I see her in a better light than that. Skylar is also beautiful, she looks so strong, when I first saw her, the first thing I thought was how amazing she looked, taking down an alpha in human form, her silky dark hair fanning out behind her in the wind.