Chapter 4

The alpha continued to stare at me in shock, his eyes wavering slightly between my face and my gun.

I refused to take my gun down, instead holding it up, poised and ready to shoot at a moments notice.

I stared at him, taking the time to give him a once over.

His golden locks shimmered in the sunlight that shone through the gaps in the tree's, it blew around a bit due to the wind, and was a bit messy. His eyes were a dark, disbelieving brown, and they looked so familiar...

His eyes reminded me of someone, someone whom I'd looked into the eyes of many times before. Someone that i'd shared secrets with, who had held my hand when life got tough.

This man was the spitting image of Axel. Everything from the way he held himself to the almost innocent look in his eyes.

My eyes clenched shut without my permission as memories flooded my mind.

"Avery!" a voice shouted out, I spun around, laughing as I spotted a gleeful, 12 year old Axel. "Avery wait up!"

"Axel!" I giggled as he finally caught up to me, knocking me over as we both tumbled to the ground.

"Avery I missed you!" He grinned brightly at me, looking down at me as he playfully pinned me to the soft grass.

I stared up into his dark, playful brown eyes as they stared back at me.

No no no no no no no! The eyes... they matched up perfectly to the ones in my memory.

He looked taller, leaner, more mature.

But he was still the same boy who had been my best friend.

Axel was stood right in front of me.

He wasn't dead.

He was stood in the flesh, with me. Alive.

And he was my mate.

It wasn't until Blaine mind linked me that I realised I was chanting 'No no no no no' out loud. "Sky, you ok?"

I forced my eyes open and gave Blaine a slight nod of my head.

"Not a threat, clear the area." I ordered through the mind link. I impatiently waited while my pack scattered away, leaving me with Axel. Alone.

I waited for him to speak, but he just kept staring at me in shock.

I waited for a while til I remembered I was still holding a gun in my hand.

I put it back on the safety and put it back in my gun holder.

He seemed to visibly relax once I did that.

"Mine." His growl ripped through the silent woods.

He began to approach me, and as he did so I took a step back, he didn't seem to notice, all he was recognising was that I was his mate and that he apparently didn't want anything other than to be as close to me as possible.

When he was about a foot away from me he stopped, and took a moment to look at me.

He gave me a big grin, one I remember from all those years spent by his side.

"Axel." He introduced himself, holding his hand out.

Any trace of a smile that had graced my face had now completely vanished.

He didn't remember me.

In that moment my eyes went cold, my body stiffened, how could I have been so stupid as to have thought, even for a second, that he would know who I was.